Rodders Digest: My new Favorite Hot Rod Rag?

rambos_ride
rambos_ride Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in Street Rods
I have to say, I don't think I have picked up a copy of Rodders Digest before..but for us customizers out there I found 5 articles, ads or reviews in the April 2007 Issue that applied to things I want to be doing soon

1. Panhard Bars http://www.welderseries.com (Article see other thread)
2. HeaderSockets for Block Hugger headers www.headersockets.com (Review)
3. Butterfly shifters: http://www.streetrodhq.com/search.lasso?search=the+shrifter&dept=car (ad was in rag - aren't these cool)
4. Shop math rotisserie - building a frame rotisserie (could use as basis for one for a stepdown?)
5. WirePath or Warpath - an article on wiring a rod with some good tips.

The rag actually has more articles and pictures than ads! A very well done magazine and I can't remember the last time I picked up a rod magazine and found anything good other than pictures of pretty girls and cars and parts I can't afford!

I'll look out for their next issue and see how it goes..I might just have to subscribe to this one!

Comments

• MikeWA
    MikeWA Senior Contributor
    Rodders Digest was one of my favorites, but I thought it had ceased publication (I've even picked up a few back issues on line from time to time)- Guess my local supemarket needs to get with it. Now that Custom Rodder is kaput, I need to subscribe to another anyhow. They used to have some clever writing, as well as good tech and picture layouts.
  • I have subscriptions to Hot Rod, Car Craft, and Street Rodder. I'm not impressed with any of them. I'll have to check out Rodders Digest.

There is a guy here in Riverside that publishes a magazine called Hop-Up Magazine, he says it is "old school style" but I haven't seen it yet.

Terry
  • Dan, where do you buy it from? I haven't seen it at my local grocers, but I would like to check out an issue before subscribing. I hated it when Custom Rodder closed down, they had alot of good tech articles.

Jay
  • MikeWA
    MikeWA Senior Contributor
    52 kahuna wrote:
    I have subscriptions to Hot Rod, Car Craft, and Street Rodder. I'm not impressed with any of them. I'll have to check out Rodders Digest.

There is a guy here in Riverside that publishes a magazine called Hop-Up Magazine, he says it is "old school style" but I haven't seen it yet.

Terry

I think Hot Rod is on the way out- I have been offered a subscription for $1 a month, with first year free, and passed. Theres only about so much you can say about small block Chevies, until your eyes start to cross. Street Rod- you should buy an issue off the newstand once in awhile, just for the ads, so you know where to get stuff- but not much for content. I have subscribed to Rod and Custom forever, and probably will til I die. Haven't seen Hop Up- will look for it. Need to find a newstand with Rodder's Digest, to see if they have any hot deals in the cardboard inserts.
  • rambos_ride
    jsrail wrote:
    Dan, where do you buy it from? I haven't seen it at my local grocers, but I would like to check out an issue before subscribing. I hated it when Custom Rodder closed down, they had alot of good tech articles.

Jay

I got this issue down at my local QFC.

Here's the link to the parent publisher, I'd go to the Contact Us link and send them a message asking for a sample "comp'ed" issue or where to buy one in your area.

http://www.buckaroocommunications.com/ME2/Default.asp

Looks like this is a bi-monthly publication...
    Two Years/12 Issues $34.99Four Years/24 Issues $69.98
  • Dan, I sent them the same request.
  • rambos_ride
    edited November 2013
    I did too, but couldn't wait for the complimentary issue to arrive.. I called and subscribed (2 years), and got a 'free T-Shirt' too!

Also get "Truck Builder" from the same publisher, and "Classic Trucks" as well.

Lot of good stuff in them, although they tend to have mostly 'run of the mill' articles on the most popular & plentyful trucks. Very seldom do you even see a 'rare' truck mentioned, and even less photos of them... :(

Talk about a "leap-of-faith" - I was going to wait until the next issue to see if the April '07 issue was a fluke!

Did they give you a multi-subscription discount? :D

My only problem with "free" t-shirts is they don't usually stock the "big and large" sizes :p
  • I have several copies of Hop Up. Neat little magazine, but mine are over 50 years old.
  • I think Rodder's Digest and American Rodder are 2 good magazines from Buckaroo. I get them both. Street Rodder sometimes has good basic tech stuff, and Street Rod Builder has tech, but a lot of times, biggger buck stuff.

I think all of these can be found at Barnes and Noble.
  • How about OL' SKOOL RODZ. That one has no competition in the rod magazine market. Low budget, vintage engines, Primer, rust, patina, and mexican blankets.
This discussion has been closed.