Hydramatic Stepdown

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I've just acquired a 308 and 4 speed auto from a '57 Hornet for my '50 Pacemaker. Does anybody know of anyone who has fitted the auto into a stepdown?

The issues I am not sure about are:

a) The rear crossmember set up - (I have the auto crossmember)

b) Shifter set up - Floor shift? or can original Column be adapted? I think the kick down may not be able to operate from the column.

c) Is the tunnel large enough to take the auto? A three speed with o/d is currently fitted

I am aware the rear of the tranny needs the flange removed.

I am located in Australia and the car is right hand drive.

Any info on this much appreciated.

Shane

Comments

• Club Coupe
    Club Coupe Expert Adviser
    The only thing that I can be definite on is that tunnel is large enough for the hydramatic. I have a '51 Pacemaker that came from the factory with a hydramatic. and I have never detected any modifications to the tunnel. I think that if you could find a steering column rom a hydramatic-equipted car that that would be the easiest way to set up the shift linkage.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    Shane, you will need the stepdown removable cross member, I have one of those if you want to borrow it to see how it goes together.

I think I would be staying with the column shift and copying as much as I could from the 55/57 autos. You are a little on your own as Hydramatic was not offered in RHD stepdowns. Jerry Davies in Sydney did one and that car has recently been sold to Western Australia.

The removable floor centre is the same for autos and manuals.

There may be enough LHD bits and pieces around Brisbane to make your car LHD if you wished, its a straight bolt up operation and would simplify the Hydramatic process.
This discussion has been closed.