"dry gas"

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
My brother-in-law, who just recently moved here from NJ, knows everything about cars except how to change the oil, put water in the battery, etc., tells me there is a product out there called "dry gas" that is an additive to stop vapor lock. If somebody who actually knows something about cars will verify that such a product (1) exists and (2) actually works, I may try it.

Comments

• Club Coupe
    Club Coupe Expert Adviser
    "Dry Gas" is a product marketed under several different brand names. It's supposed purpose is to remove water from the gasoline in the tank caused by condensation. Keeping your tank full eliminates this condensation. I have never heard of "dry gas" preventing vapor lock.
  • Now do you see why I don't trust my brother in law when it comes to cars?
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Well, vapor lock comes from hot gasoline vaporizing in the fuel pump. They won't pump vapor.

Possible causes, too much heat around the pump, a plugged screen in the pump, a partially plugged line or tank pickup..anything that makes it suck harder, as vacuum will vaporize fuel also.

Many of us put a clear plastic filter as close to the tank as possible, to minimize rust flakes which will plug the screen, some use an electric pump in the line, and turn it on before starting and when vapor lock occurs.

Walt Mordenti, uses a T in the line after the pump, and routs some of the gas back to the tank ala modern pump-equipped cars/trucks to keep fuel flowing thru the pump.

Half a pint of Marvel Mystery oil per tank will help with that and lube the valves etc. also.

I've heard of routing fresh air from the front of the car to the pump using a pipe, and it's a good idea to carry a 2-liter bottle of water to cool the pump and condense the fuel when it happens.

Dry gas is mostly alky, and in my opinion will exacerbate the problem. It'll make it worse too.
  • I had an electric fuel pump on the Hudson. I disconnected it right after blowing up a brand new muffler due to it pumping too much gas into the manifold when the car was not timed properly. The car backfired, blew up the muffler, and scared the family to death. Thanks for the tips on the plastic filter though, I'm willing to try it.
  • I remember the days of vapor lock. I had a 48 Ford that I had to carry water around with for years. Someone talked me into putting clothespins on the fuel line. They swore it would help ;-).
  • Is anyone familiar with the Walbro electric fuel pump advertised by JC Whitney. I like the concept of the fuel pump not kicking in until needed. I may get over my fear of electric fuel pumps if this thing works.
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    Insulate the fuel line from the pump to the carburetor - can wrap it in aluminum foil. We used to do that on stock cars down south in the 50's (tho back then it was tin foil.) Reflects a lot of the heat off the lines.
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Yup, I fell for the clothespin trick too.

Was staging for a parade and show, and had some vaporlock. I bought a pkg at the dollar store which was right there and put em on all the way from the pump to the carb until the original old 36 Terrorplane was embarrased.

Almost made it thru the parade but it and an old Graham crapped out beside the road before we got to the show.

The real problem was a rust-flake plugged screen in the pump. Cleaned it out, and fixed the problem by dropping the tank, cutting a 5 in dia hole in the top, scraping tar out, wirebrushing rust, cleaning with dilute muriatic acid and washing soda, and JBWelding the hole cover shut. NO problems in 2 yrs.

Anybody want some used clothspins?
  • Now, don't debunk the old tinkerer's tale...used them a lot in the 70's when fuel was getting strange for a few years there. I never had vapor lock...let's just leave it at that and I lived in the Nevada desert at the time. The thought at the time was that they acted like a heat sink and drew the heat from the line.
  • brnhornet52*
    brnhornet52* Senior Contributor
    Hi Jason,

One possible cure is to install a fitting in the fuel pump which routs the fuel line out towards the fender. (like 90 degrees) and then up to the carb. You'll get the line away from the exhaust manifold then and cut down on a lot of heat. If you use a new line, you can install a filter there between the fuel pump and carb.
This discussion has been closed.