308: rebuild components/sources

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
As I write this, the transmission is complete, and the 308 is in the machine shop. Wanting the best possible in the motor, I am faced with several options... Are new, modern (technology-wise) cams and tappets available? Are there unleaded gas concerns in the valve/seat/guide department which should be addressed?(prefer no lead additives) Timing chain stretch issues? The car is Twin H, D R Hydro. I would be interested to know your thoughts on these issues... Thank you
Mike Bergeron
Wilton, NH

Comments

• You definitly want hardened Valve seats. That will take care of unleaded fuel
    Fred
  • EssexAdv
    EssexAdv Expert Adviser, Member
    There is a great deal of controversy over the unleaded fuel question. You will receive as many comments as there will be commentators. However, Hudson used a different cast metal for their motors than did most car makers. Truthfully, and you can have your machinist check this out, the block is cast in a harder metal than modern seat inserts. I had a conversation with Bernie Sigfried, who was involved in the design of the motor. He said that, as the metal of the block is superior to the insert metal, their is no need to do the insert trick. The choice is yours, but I drive my stepdowns more than the average car guy. I have owned them since prior to the Fed conversion to unleaded fuel. I have always used unleaded fuel and have NEVER had a valve recession problem. Check the metal story out for yourself. If you find this is correct, don't spend the money or run the risk of seat insert problems....

Lew
  • I agree with Lew. Hudson even used harder than standard material blocks in the twenties. I have been using unleaded fuel exclusively in my '28 Essex for the last nineteen years, (over 80,000 miles), and the tappet settings have not altered in that time. I know the later blocks are harder again, except for the "Hash" produced engines in '55-'56, which were much softer.
    Geoff, N.Z.
  • Lew, thanks for the info. The block in question is #F12574, making it a '56 block (I am told). Is this a soft one?
  • Yes the '56 is softer, I redid my valves in Feb 2002, and the exhaust valve seats were recessed about .016-.020" The engine did over 60K miles on unleaded gas though, and at high speeds. Kenneth
This discussion has been closed.