Misses when warm

JasonNC
JasonNC Expert Adviser
edited November -1 in HUDSON
The car runs great for 15-20 minutes, but after it warms up it starts missing. I've been told it's probably the condenser or coil going bad. Is that correct?
Jason

Comments

• It could be the condenser or the coil, but it could also be most anything else from timing, to a bad distributor cap, clogged fuel filter, bad plug wire, bad spark plug, etc. You didn't say how long it had been since you did a major tune up and if it's been a while I would suggest doing just that. By major I mean replacing not only the plugs, points and condensor but also the distributor cap, rotor button, fuel filter, plug wires, doing a compression check and checking the timing. After doing all of this maintenance you will have eleminated quite a bit of a possible miss and eleminated replacing parts that may not be the cause of your miss. Good luck.
  • Hi Jason My Hornet would miss when hot at idle speed at times when using an Autolite plug (new ones) but since changing to Champion 844-1 (H10C) lawnmower plug found at Walmart, never a miss since and this was several years ago. Ole hornet will flat cut that grass now. I like those
    champions Shadetree
  • It would pay to check coil polarity as well, this can make it miss, as the spark has to jump from the cold earthed electrode to the hot centre. Just a thought. It could me any manner of things, and as suggested a thorough tune-up may be the answer.
    Geoff. N.Z.
  • Jason if you decide to do the major tune up don't forget to also replace the vacuum lines. I have seen vacuum leaks cause a miss (more often on late models) but for less than a dollar cost it would pay to replace. If your miss seems to be concurrent with it "loading up" your float could be sticking.
This discussion has been closed.