327 for a 51 pacemake

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in Street Rods
Hey guys I'll be putting my 327 into to the p-maker untill her 232 is rebuilt. I would like to leave the stock mounts to be able to use later, you guys that have used chevy engines, how did you go about mounting it and where did you place it for optimum balance. I'm using a th400 are there any problems you all have come upon. Send pics if you can.

Comments

• rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    rdmontez wrote:
    Hey guys I'll be putting my 327 into to the p-maker untill her 232 is rebuilt. I would like to leave the stock mounts to be able to use later, you guys that have used chevy engines, how did you go about mounting it and where did you place it for optimum balance. I'm using a th400 are there any problems you all have come upon. Send pics if you can.

??

OK - I'm stumped...is the 232 a 6 or small v-8?
  • 232 is the same block as the 262 and 308
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    OK - I wanted to make sure...

Putting a 327 in would present a ton more work that would be difficult if not impossible to re-work.Steering and Exhaust are the 2 main culprits.

I don't see any benefit to doing this...just put the extra $$ and effort into the 232 - IMHO
  • I'm fitting a sbc in my 49 and don't find any issues with steering..haven't got to exhaust yet but if you have a manual tranny you have to modify the crossmember for the turbo 400 and changing it all back would be a ton of work unless you want to put the 232 onto the turbo 400 when its done. That is possible with an adapter plate. the time and expense of fitting the v 8 in and out again to me would be too much hassle. Just fix the 232 and put it back IMHO
  • However to actually answer your question , the v8 goes back so that the dist is about 1/2 inch from the firewall and then you have to cut the tranny crossmember and flip it over to lower it for the tranny to clear. Then you have to build a new crossmember further back for the tranny to mount to. I did like Dan and moved the existing motor mounts back and built brackets to fit on the front holes in the block that sit on the Hudson motor mounts in their new position. Then you will of course need to make shift linkages and throttle...etc. easiest for the tranny is a floor mount shifter. any how my 2 cents....Jim
  • its a lot of work for a temp fix. ive got my hands more than full returning my modified pacmaker to hudson power. concentrate your resources on the 232!
  • I agree with the rest of the group. Changing from one to the other is pretty easy, but more work than I'd rather do for a temporary set-up.
  • Actually if you want to see how easy a 327 goes into one contact Larry Kennedy in Indiana. He has a 52 Hornet sedan with a 57 Hornet 327 in it that looks like the factory did it. Also he is running the hydramatic behind it using the stock coluum shifter. Its a tight squeeze on the driver's side near the exhaust manifold but everything clears.

PaceRacer50
  • Gotta agree with most here (damn I hate to do that! lol). Not worth it for a temp job. Personally, I'd go with the 327 permanently, as the one I ran in my '38 Dodge Coupe was a screamer with the quadrajet! Gas mileage sucked, though, at the time I wasn't as concerned about it as I am these days.

Seems like an awful lotta work if in the end to just go back to the 232, if thats what you want, just spend your time rebuilding it (the 232). There are plenty of us out here who's car is waiting to get finished. We're in the same boat!

Jay
This discussion has been closed.