Pickup Frame Interchange

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I have a 1940 Hudson pickup. The frame is rusted out. I heard that the fenders are interchangable with car fenders and I was wondering if the frame of the '40 - '47 Hudson pickups will interchange with '40 thru '47 car frames?

Comments

• hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    It depends on wether you have a Model 40C (Called business cars) or a model 48C Big Boy.

40C's were on a 113" wb and serial numbers start at 40-101; 48C pickups, rated at 3/4 ton, started at 48-16302 and were on a 125" wb.
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Wouldn't be too hard a job to stretch a good car frame behind the cab by welding in a box section.

On the other hand, if your truck frame will still cast a shadow, cut heavy sheet stock and weld them in place.
  • I know that Elcaminos and Chevelles share the same frame and suspension. That is why I thought that since the Hudson pickups and cars look so much alike,they might easily interchange. I never thought about the wheel base being different. If I were to find a frame with the right wheel base, is there any other modification I would have to do to make the pickup box fit? Thanks for all the great advice.
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    If you can find a 40/41 long wheelbase car (128in) it's the same frame. They're scarcer'n hens teeth tho.

Also, while you're looking, you might consider that some of the cars had 4.11 rear ends and you could get rid of the 4.56 granny back there.

Front fenders from a car with running boards will fit OK. The ones with the enclosed running board will have to have a piece added.

Rear car fenders will have to have the piece welded in from the seam inwards, but it's pretty much flat metal.
  • The pickup I have has a 113" wheel base. According to all the great information you have posted, it looks like I have my work cut out for me, but at least I know what I'm looking for. Thanks again for your help.
  • Hi, I know of a1940 113' frame in good condition over in Spokane WA. (assuming it's still there) the only frame part you will need to transfer over from your old frame is the additional rear framebrace near the axle arch. I believe only pickups had this section, It's a bolt in part anyway so line it up, drill the necessary holes and bolt it in. 1941 on frames started on 116' WB. I'm in England but could put you in touch with the guy in WA if you're interested.

Good luck either way.

Jerry.......................
This discussion has been closed.