Look before you buy

Hudsonrules
Hudsonrules Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I have puchased a couple Hudsons off e-bay. One a 1950 Commodore sedan that we towed over 500 miles from Salt Lake City to save it from the crusher. I bought it for a parts car or eventual project, that was six years ago and it is stil resting out back. Probably should sell it cheap, no motor, some broken glass, and battle scars. The description was honest and there were no disappointments. However I wanted a driver Hudson while we rebuilt my '49 Commodore sedan. I look on e-bay and there it was, near Seattle, not to far from here in Nevada. The ad sounded good with many items having been replaced or rebuilt. The car looked okay in the pictures, not great, but sevicable. I contacted the owner, hr was nice enough,but neglected to tell me that the replaced parts, brakes, gen, starter, clutch etc had been done back in the '70s by the previous owner prior to his death. Then the car sat for many years. He did tell me that the car should be trailered as he did not feel it was ready for a long drive. After having it shipped to me here in Nevada I soon found out why it was not road worthy. The fuel tank, radiator and engine were full of rust and sludge, it wouled over heat when it did run and run poorly it did. Lights did not work, brakes were crystalized. I could go on and on. It has been a project for the last couple years, now doing a valve job as it had two stuck valves and would not time right. Hopefully it will be road worthy in a few more weeks. It has cost me money, time and frustration. I now realize that I should have put the effort into my '49 Commodore sedan. I have relatives in the Seattle area and should have had them look at the car before I bought it. Moral of my story, be patient, have someone look at any car that you may consider buying, you may have to buy them :cool: dinner sometime but it is worth it.
This discussion has been closed.