Air conditioning for 1950 Hudson

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
My spouse informs me that I am not to put the Hudson back together without air conditioning. I want to put my money in the body and drivetrain. If I go looking in junk yards, is there any car I can take the air conditioning system off of and adapt it to the 232 engine I am working with? In addition, is there a chance of making it work with a 6 volt system? I have the stuff to pull a vacuum and gauges for checking high and low side pressures etc....

Comments

• Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    I recommend you change over to 12v. The A/C compressor and blower together draw a fair bit of current, and you'd have a tough time finding one that works on 6v. There are other advantages to 12v, too, such as ease of finding bulbs when on the road, and compatibility with many modern accessories (cruise control, stereos, etc.) Several folks (including me) have put A/C in their stepdowns in recent times, and can give you suggestions on what equipment to use, and how to install. I have some technical notes on 12v conversion for stepdowns. E-mail me at hetpwald@mindspring.com (remove the "het" first) and I'll e-mail that data, and maybe a couple of photos of my A/C installation. Where are you located?
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Park makes some good points, but it is possible to run AC with a 6 volt system; one of our local H-E-T chapter members has done this, using a 12-volt compressor but stretching the spring somewhat. I can get you more information if you wish to pursue the 6 volt route, contact me at hetdetailed@verizon.net (remove the het before sending). --Jon Battle
  • I tried to email you, and got a spam blocker notice. I would love the info on AC and 12 volt conversion. I have looked at a lot of 12 volt info on the web, but am not comfortable on how to convert the starter from positive to negative ground and how the OD components will work. The pictures of an AC set up would be great! I am in Georgetown, near Austin, Texas. I sent Bill Albright a check to get into HET, so I think I am a member somewhere. I have not received any notification yet.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    who did you try unsuccessfully to e-mail? Park, or me?
  • I tried to email Park
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    I have a 49 Super Six (12 volt)with Air from "Vintage Air" and will be soon doing a 54 Hornet with either Vintage air or Hot Rod air. Haven't made up my mind yet. Both fit under the dash without looseing the glove box. I did have to remove the original heater and plenum on the 49. The heater in the Vintage kit is great. You may have a problem with the Pacemaker since the firewall is indented on that model. Better measure first..cut later! By the way, I haven't touched the starter, it's still the original 6 Volt.I would be happy to send pictures of the installation if you need them.

Good Luck
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    I've sent the requested info to Alex. I have a large Hot Rod Air system in my Hornet, and if I were to do it again I'd keep the original heater. The Hot Rod unit puts out plenty of warm air, but almost all goes to the passenger side floor, little to the left side. The original heater kept my tootsies much warmer.
  • EssexAdv
    EssexAdv Expert Adviser, Member
    Jon is close ont he 6volting of the compressor. What Allen did, at my recomendation was to shim the compressor clutch to the minimum clearance. The clutch will trigger on 6 volt on just about any compressor if you do this. Then you need to put a 6 volt blower motor in the air box. This is not hard to do. The draw will be ok if youuse a fairly high amp gen.

And it is real fun showing off you 6volt air conditioner to those who don't belive it is possible
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    For those with current working ac systems - I have a related question

I see Hot Rod air has a dual-evaporator package now. Would it be worth the couple of extra $$ to get the extra cooling for the rear seat - or - would a standard package be enough?
  • EssexAdv wrote:
    Jon is close ont he 6volting of the compressor. What Allen did, at my recomendation was to shim the compressor clutch to the minimum clearance. The clutch will trigger on 6 volt on just about any compressor if you do this. Then you need to put a 6 volt blower motor in the air box. This is not hard to do. The draw will be ok if youuse a fairly high amp gen.

And it is real fun showing off you 6volt air conditioner to those who don't belive it is possible
    As Lew has pointed out... the 6 volt system will provide the necessary volts to complete the task. I am installing a 6 V positive ground high current output altenator. I wanted to retain the positive ground and have the current to operate a airconditioner and 6 volt radiator cooling fan. The altenator provides me with enough current to accomplish these tasks, run the engine and keep the battery charged.

Good Luck.

Ken
  • Ken,

which alternator are you using? wouldn't mind one of those myself.

Sean
  • Sean

D1-10SI-SE6V53AP: 6 Volt, 53 Amp Pos. Gnd.10-SI type Self Exciting Internal Regulator Alt.

http://www.alternatorparts.com/6_volt_alternators_&_kits.htm
  • How are you planning on mounting the compressor, a fabricated bracket? How about the front engine pully to drive the compressor? Is there a modern replacement available?
  • Fellas:

Go to my web page... URL at the bottom and scroll down the page there is a section devoted to showing the installation of an alternator on a Hudson engine. If you look closely at the bottom of the picture you will also see the top of an airconditioning compressor. This engine Hornet has brackets fabricated by Ken Ufheil of Plano Texas. Ken has recently changed email providers so U will have to post a request for him here for contact as... I do not have his email address. Ken usually makes the brackets for the GM altenator. If you are using the 6 Volt altenator I use he needs to space the bracket ears wider. I am not the seller nor maker of the brackets.. so check with Ken.
    image007.jpg
  • Thanks for the information, very helpful (as always ;0).

I guess I was unclear in my request so I'll try to be more precise:

Is there a modern replacement for the hard to find dual groove crank drive pully availabe?

Thanks

Scott Graebe

Manassas Va.
  • Scott:

I do not know of one ... but there have been installations that I have seen where the Hudson engine was equipped with a single belt ... similar to the serpentine belts used on many of today's cars. Another installation where the owner put a modern multi belt pulley on a bracket with a tension adjuster and ran that pulley from the crank while all accessories ran off the pulley. I would suspect if you have access to someone who is a hot rodder they will have some solid suggestions for alternatives.

My two Cents...

Ken
This discussion has been closed.