rear seal questions for Hudson 6 cyl.

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Hello again

Found the parts I was missing for my Hudson engine. Now I am assembling it. the rear seal seems to be some sort of catch tray that directs oil back to the pan through the rear cap. The gasket set has four pieces of yarn in it. The main cap has two grooves for some sort of seal as well. (Like an FE ford). Any information on the proper assembly of this would be appreciated. Thank Joe.

Comments

• Joe the rear main does not have a seal. The oil drains down to the pan thrue a pipe welded at the rear of pan. The felt or cotton goes in the holes at each side of the front and rear main caps. Pack it in good and tight after you have the caps tight. You can use silcone sealer in place of the packing. If not sealed will have oil leak. Be sure and seal around the oil pump suction pipe where it goes in the block. BK. TN.
  • Joe.Me again. The catch for the rear main is 2 pieces. 1 bolts to the block and the other to the main cap. Use a gasket are will leak. Be sure the return thrue the cap is open and the pipe on into the pan. Billy K.
  • You did not mention if this is a splasher six or not.

If it is I would not use silicone for the main bearing packing. I have seen big ends ruined as small bits of silicone are left inside the motor and picked up by the big end dipper, causing the bearing to run due to clogged dipper.

Also check and make sure the oil return tube at the back of the sump is open on both sections of the gasket ie top and bottom gasket, if not severe oil leak will occure.
This discussion has been closed.