Trans-Pan Update

rambos_ride
rambos_ride Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in Street Rods
Looking for a donor section - check the main forum for pictures and details...or...http://www.classiccar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9214

Here's the opening finished raw - non primered...I built it so I could make an additional removeable cover...I think for now I'm going to build a fiberglass cover for the center - but I need to wait so the I can fix my rust area and bolt the piece in to lay the glass out.

center3_sm.jpg

Comments

• Nice work Rambo, I enjoy watching your progress and the quality of your workmanship
  • rambos_ride
    Thanks HudsonDad - it's nice to be making some progress finally however small...

this patch is nearly as fun as re-making the inner trunk braces - but at least I only have to do 1 side :) ...multiple curves and not the correct tools to make them!

I know HF now sells a entry level planishing hammer and english wheel setups...they would certainly make my life easier!

CompositeRustRepair1.jpg
  • nice job !
  • I bought a bunch of HF stuff which is fine for ocassional use. Like the combo brake/shear/roller and bead roller. I usually wait til they have a sale as everthing in the store eventually is on special. We have a store about 10 miles from home. Anything electric or air powered I try right away, as I've found some items defective out of the box. Quality control isn't 100% in China. Can't beat the prices, though. Just pick the tools that have to be top quality and spend what you saved at HF on those to buy name brand/top shelf.
  • rambos_ride wrote:
    Thanks HudsonDad - it's nice to be making some progress finally however small...

this patch is nearly as fun as re-making the inner trunk braces - but at least I only have to do 1 side :) ...multiple curves and not the correct tools to make them!

I know HF now sells a entry level planishing hammer and english wheel setups...they would certainly make my life easier!

Our local HF store just got the English wheel and Planishing Hammer in. I thought the wheel was a steal at $249 and looked better structurally than the one at Eastwood that sells for $1000+. It comes with the 8" upper wheel and (one) lower wheel. You can get the set of lower anvils for $79. I had a 15% off coupon so bought one and put it together last night. Rated for 16 ga steel and 14 ga aluminum. I think you'd like it for hobby use. The planishing hammer uses a modified air chisel with a foot switch. Probably a good buy for the price. Don't know how that would hold up long term.
  • rambos_ride
    hudsondad wrote:
    Our local HF store just got the English wheel and Planishing Hammer in. I thought the wheel was a steal at $249 and looked better structurally than the one at Eastwood that sells for $1000+. It comes with the 8" upper wheel and (one) lower wheel. You can get the set of lower anvils for $79. I had a 15% off coupon so bought one and put it together last night. Rated for 16 ga steel and 14 ga aluminum. I think you'd like it for hobby use. The planishing hammer uses a modified air chisel with a foot switch. Probably a good buy for the price. Don't know how that would hold up long term.

Both the english wheel and planishing hammer setup look decent enough for a starter set and should work for most things except trying to recreate a roof or hood panel complete!

At the prices they're selling at I'm surprised they're in stock - any reason...other than cash...you didn't pick up the planishing hammer too?

An English Wheel, A planishing hammer, some mallets and a shot bag and there probably isn't much you couldn't patch or build on any car or bike

I really hate you guys :mad: Not Really...it's just tool envy :D
  • Probably will pick it up. I have a 2nd 15% coupon and didn't want to use two at the same time. They're good for one item. But you're right, $149 is still a steal and it comes with 3 anvils. Less than $130 with 15% OFF.
  • Glad hudsondad got that english wheel, we're gonna need than planishing hammer when we re-make all of the floor for this pacemaker we're gonna get...

pacemaker.jpg
  • rambos_ride
    From what I hear both the planishing hammer and english wheel are murder on thumbs and fingers...a good pair of thick leather work gloves would be good to keep nearby...that and a first aid kit and phone with speed dial to 911 :)
This discussion has been closed.