gear on camshaft for oil pump

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
My camshaft in the 232 1950 pacemaker looks new, and the tappets and lifters look new. The problem is the gear on the camshaft that drives the oil pump gear. It looks like the gear teeth are worn /// thin and chipped at the bottom. This is strange because the oil pump gear seems new and shows no damage. I am trying to decide whether to replace the cam or hope this works. The only thing I can guess is maybe this was a reconditioned cam and the gear problem was not addressed when it was redone. Can the gear teeth be reconditioned on a camshaft? Do they usually look a bit fragil? I hate to pull this cam, I do not have a tool to take the valve springs out with. I have a valve puller that looks like a giant C clamp that will compress the springs to take the valves out, (and have done so) but am worried about getting the springs back in if I take them out.

Comments

• Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    Alex, I've recently seen a 262 cam with the same problem. Don't know why the oil pump drive gears wear this way. NAPA has a valve spring compressor expressly for L-head engines ... their number SER 700. I don't think it's very expensive. And it's probably a K-D tool, which are often available at Pep Boys and other parts stores at lower prioces than NAPA.
  • You have one the the early motors that Hudson used a steel oil pump gear which in turn knocked the camshaft out which required replacing the cam. Later they replaced the steel gear on the oil pump with a bronze gear that absorbed the wear and much easier to replace than the cam. Would suggest replacing the cam and oil pump gear. We have both in stock.

Randy Maas
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    You should be able to get a replacement cam no problems, but if not, you can build up the worn gear with nickle-bronze (wearbraze), and get re-machined. This will work with the original pump gear and last indefinitely, as it work hardens. Dis-similar metals wear better - bronze on steel lasts longer than bronze on bronze or steel on steel.

Geoff.
  • Thanks Park, when I looked at the gear a bit closer and took direction of rotation into consideration, it is not as bad as I thought. Not perfect but serviceable. I have sent you a couple of emails and from what you have sent me, it implies you are not getting them. Thanks for the 12V and AC stuff, I will replay with a hundred questions. :)
This discussion has been closed.