Generator light came on....

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Yesterday the generator light came on and stayed on longer than it should. Instead of going out within a few seconds as was it's normal custom, I had to rev up the engine. Today it came on and stayed on, even at 65 mph. I assume that the generator has either quit charging or the voltage regulator is malfunctioning. What is the most likely problem and what's the cheapest way to fix it.

Jason

Comments

• Club Coupe
    Club Coupe Expert Adviser
    If you have a multi-meter you can easily check the output from the generator, if not take it off and take it to your local parts house and ask them to check it. If the generator checks out it is most likely that the regulator is bad. But the first thing that you need to do before spinning a wrench is to make sure that the fan belt has the proper tension and is turning the generator with no slipping. If you replace the generator, do yourself a favor and replace the regulator at the same time. Regulators are inexpensive so you might as well do the job right. As far as the cheapest way to fix it; do it yourself.
  • Well I tightened up the belt and that wasn't my problem. As far as I can tell, the old generator, unlike my wife with credit cards, is no longer charging. When I switched over to 12 volts, I had the original generator rewired so as to keep that original look. I've had my fun with that, I'm going with an alternator. Isn't there an alternator out there that has the correct size pulley or will I have to replace the belt when I make the switch? Any pointers (with pictures of the finished product) would be greatly appreciated. Can I use a bracket from Advance Auto or will I have to get one made?

Jason
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    When you tightened the belt I hope you didn't "tighten" it. Unlike todays belts the old generator belts need about a 1/2" of slack in the middle. You place a straight edge across the belt from pulley to pully and push down the 1/2" in the middle. Otherwise, if you tighten the belt as you do on todays cars, with no slack, you will risk early wear in the bushings.

Hudsonly,

Alex B
  • If you're sure you want to change to an alternator, I'd recommend a"one wire" one. No wiring hassles.
  • Club Coupe
    Club Coupe Expert Adviser
    Jason48 wrote:
    Well I tightened up the belt and that wasn't my problem. As far as I can tell, the old generator, unlike my wife with credit cards, is no longer charging. When I switched over to 12 volts, I had the original generator rewired so as to keep that original look. I've had my fun with that, I'm going with an alternator. Isn't there an alternator out there that has the correct size pulley or will I have to replace the belt when I make the switch? Any pointers (with pictures of the finished product) would be greatly appreciated. Can I use a bracket from Advance Auto or will I have to get one made?

Jason

I used a Nissan one wire alternator. The advantage to this alternator over a GM is that it has an adjustable pulley that will accomodate different width belts. Your generator bracket will probably not work and you will need to fabricate a new bracket. Save your generator bracket just in case you decide to switch back. When you get everything mounted, measure the width that you need and then take a piece of twine or string and run it to get your belt length. Cut the string and take it to your parts house and get a belt. Now, all being said and done, figure the difference in repairing/replacing your generator and regulator and the switch to an alternator and decide which is financially best for you.
This discussion has been closed.