battery on e-bay

dave s
dave s Senior Contributor, Moderator
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Just a word of advise on NOS battery on Ebay. I learned from experience after I purchased 3 NOS batteries at York auction. A battery kept on shelf that long will not take a charge. :)

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Dave, I'm curious. I assumed that the battery was in the box, and not yet filled with acid. Are you saying that, even if the battery has never had acid added, it won't take a charge?
  • dave s
    dave s Senior Contributor, Moderator
    That is what I am saying, Jon. I didn't believe it either, but after I wasted more of my money on acid, I found out my battery man was right. Apparently, the lead plates sulfate over the years, even if left dry.
  • Club Coupe
    Club Coupe Expert Adviser
    As a teenager in the 60's I worked at a gas station. All of our batteries came dry with a bag of acid in the box. I can remember the jobber exchanging the older batteries for new ones because of a limited shelf life, but I sure don't remember exactly what the shelf life was. It may have been 6 months but that's just a guess. I also remember trying to "rebuild" a battery by dumpng out the acid (pre-EPA) hosing the battery out and adding new acid. If I was real lucky the rebuild would last about a week, but when you're a teenager anything to save a buck.
This discussion has been closed.