Fuel supply problem

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Hi. I'm putting a recently acquired 47 Hudson pickup back on the road after it sat indoors for over 5 years. Unfortunately it wasn't drained of fuel before being stored so I've been stymied so far in getting fuel to flow to the carb. I've replaced a typical in-line fuel filter with a new see-through unit so that I can verify the fuel flow from the fuel pump and I've cleaned out the sediment bowl on the pump. I missed cleaning out the sediment bowl screen so I'll have to get back to that.

After cleaning out the sediment bowl on the pump, should the fuel flow from the tank by gravity into the bowl or must it be sucked by the pump? I assumed it must be sucked so when cranking the engine I have observed a drop or two of fuel entering the bowl at each revolution. This doesn't seem like nearly enough. Should I suspect the pump, a plugged fuel line, or the rubber hose between the fuel line and pump? I'd really prefer to avoid dropping the tank and fuel lines (though I probably should clean them out).

Thanks in advance.

Warren

Comments

• hudsonguy
    hudsonguy Senior Contributor
    Warren,

One time, I was having this sort of problem, and I disconnected the rubber hose before the fuel pump, applied air pressure to the fuel tank (wrapped a rag around an air nozzle at the fuel tank inlet), and discovered that it was the rubber line itself. It had basically collapsed internally. Looked fine from the outside, but was almost completely plugged.

Doug
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    You could try troubleshooting it, working progressively from the pump back. First, disconnect the line (from the tank) where it joins the pump, and substitute a rubber hose running into a gas can. Turn the engine over. Does the fuel now pump into the bowl at a faster rate? If yes, fine. If not, replace the pump (Dave Kostansek of Ohio, offers rebuilt ones).

Re-attach the line and try it again. If the flow is now reduced once again, detach the line from tank to pump, and try blowing it out with an air hose. That might help. Try re-attaching the line to the pump but don't reattach the line to the tank; try to hook up a rubber hose at the back and run it into the gas can. Now try pumping the gas, to see if the line itself is clear. If not, you need to replace it. If it does work, then bit the bullet, drop the tank, and check it out. (Also check the line carefully for rust; if it has rusted through it may be sucking air, which is not good.)

The intake pipe could be plugged or have an air hole above the fuel level (and be sucking air within the tank). Chances are, there is a lot of scale in the tank. Places like Gas Tank Renu can clean it out and recoat it (inside and out) for maybe $300 (give or take), or you can do the job yourself.
  • Thanks for the suggestions. I suspect the rubber line already since it appears somewhat collapsed at both points of the 'S' shaped bend. I have another line somewhere in my pile of parts and will be replacing it next.

I reviewed the service manual regarding the tank inlet filter screen. It appears to be quite large in diameter so I'm betting it isn't completely gummed up.

I hadn't thought of gently pressurizing the tank - an excellent easy to test suggestion.

Murphy's Law #17 - As soon as your antique vehicle is ready to test run, the weather will become really lousy. Applies to car shows too!

Warren
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Some time ago I had a '50 Pacemaker which had sat for many years, and the fuel had gone bad, resulting in the line and tank lined with green gunge, and the pump could not suck enough fuel through to keep the motor running. I used two tins of Wynns carb cleaner in the fuel tank which dissolved the gunge, and had no problems after that.

Geoff.
  • Hi Kenneth,

No progress on the 41 yet but I have cleared out the stuff that was surrounding it. Winter keep happening too. I've been mostly busy renovating the shop and taking advantage of a couple of 'opportunities' that popped up. Why is it that 'opportunities' always seem to take up so much space?? ;)

Warren
This discussion has been closed.