4.6 Ford into 47 Hudson Sedan

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in Street Rods
Am thinking of installing a Ford 4.6 engine and drivetrain in a 47 Hudson Commodore 4 door sedan. Has anyone done this or can anyone provide a tip or two? Any and all assistance will be appreciated.

Comments

• MikeWA
    MikeWA Senior Contributor
    Is that the overhead cam engine, like in my '95 Lincoln? Its a great engine, but the electronics would be a nightmare for most of us.
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Some basics I have learned on engine swaps...

Engine and Transmission inclination:

5-6 Degree tilt measured from the centerline of the car.

6degrees.bmp
    FrontMountAngle_1med.jpg

I know with my Commodore the driveshaft length is an issue. The 49 has a 2pc driveline - but is pretty wimpy by todays standards I was able to use my 2pc donor driveline from a 75 3/4ton GM truck with just the rear shaft needing to be shortened.

This gives me a much beefier driveline and ease of getting replacement carrier bearing parts - something to think about....

FabCenterCarrier_3med.jpg
  • hornet53
    hornet53 Senior Contributor
    Or possibly the Supercharged 4.6 32 valve out of the late model Cobras? Now that would be a sweet conversion with the T-5 trans. Engine compartment probably isn't wide enough for those 4 valve heads though.
  • Late model Cobra Mustangs have a T-56 6 speed trans. The T-5 is in the Mustang GT.
This discussion has been closed.