54 Hornet Power Steering questions

SuperDave
SuperDave Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I purchased a power steering set up "in a peach basket". I had the hoses remanufacture and the valve and cylinder rebuilt by lares Corp. Now I am at the installation phase. I have the 53-54 Mechanical supplement reprinted by Clifford. The illustrations are unuseable. I have just about figured everything out except the hydraulic lines where they connect to the cylinder/valve. The connections are on the bottom and the lines appear to interfere with the crossmember. It looks like (to me) the lines should connect on the top. Anyone have a set up they can look at and advise me? Perhaps some of the parts of the cylinder are assembled incorrectly? I may be doing something wrong? Thanks in advance! Dave w.

Comments

• dave s
    dave s Senior Contributor, Moderator
    Connections should be on top. I can take some pictures for you of whatever you need regarding power steering. Only problem is I am real busy at my real job and won't be able to do so for a couple of days. Dave S.
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Thanks Dave,

Armed with that information, I will take another look at the valve. I suspect there is a chance they put it together upside down. I didn't try a fit on the car prior to sending it off to be rebuilt. It was a mass of rust and crud. hard to make out many features. If I need further help, I'll send you an email. This is an on going project. The engine is out, so I won't be using it in the near future!

Thanks again Dave W
  • 54Hollywood
    54Hollywood Senior Contributor
    Dave:

Looking at the pump, the top connection is for the hydraulic "return" line fitting and the bottom connection is for the "pressure" line fitting. The cylinder installs with the connections on top. The one on the driver's side (left side) is for the "return" line and the other one is for the "pressure" line. Hope this helps.

Tim in WI.
This discussion has been closed.