Engine options

Unknown
edited November -1 in Street Rods
Hi, this has probably been covered a hundred times but not for me so here we go again!

This is for a '41-'47 Hudson pickup, want V8 maybe big block, don't want to 'clip' or too much mod. on the frame, manual trans. Have SB Ford in one already which is great just want to try something different in this one. DON'T want SB Chevy, maybe the easiest and cheapest but that doesn't interest me, way too common a swap for me. I've got the rearend covered, just wondered what anyone here has done, was in touch with someone who had a BB Chevy in one which I heard went in pretty good but lost that contact but yes BBC or sim. would be nice.

So guys, what's been tried and successfully done??

Jerry.....(UK)

Comments

• you know the diesel engine idea isnt bad. my buddy has a 50's merc with a big diesel motor in it, its great! you can hear it coming a mile away and when you punch it it really goes, not to mention the big plume of black diesel smoke it kinda cool, not very common but a really cool "rat rod merc"
  • Unknown
    edited November 2013
    Could you imagine a diesel in a Hudson pickup, with a 'Jake-brake'? Then, even de-accelerating would sound "bad" (i.e., cool - :cool: )...
    I bet it really would handle great. LIKE A BRICK.As for jake brakes. I will keep that opinon to myself. Just remember one of the important things about engine swaps are to make it drive and handle better as well as being more dependable. As far as small block Chevys. You do know there is a reason most people use them. They work.
  • my vote goes to a late model 5.3 Chev. v-8, out of a GM 2 wheel drive pick-up. buy everything associated with it, wire harness, ECM, anything related to the drivetrain, and take your time trans-planting it all into the Hudson pick-up. I have the remains of a '47 Hud. pick-up, along with 2 mostly complete '46-'47 Hudson pickups, and the 'basket case' pick-up is gonna get the drivetrain mentioned above ! There's other qualified candidates, but there's somethin' about that new-generation Chev. V-8 that tells me it would be the most practical unit for a Hudson 'rod' - pick-up ! Just my thoughts, you make your own call ! ! Good-Luck with whatever you decide to use

47HUD
  • hornet53
    hornet53 Senior Contributor
    I'd look for a Mopar 340 Six-Pack to bolt in there. Set it up AAR style.
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    Ruth&Jerry wrote:
    Hi, this has probably been covered a hundred times but not for me so here we go again!

This is for a '41-'47 Hudson pickup, want V8 maybe big block, don't want to 'clip' or too much mod. on the frame, manual trans. Have SB Ford in one already which is great just want to try something different in this one. DON'T want SB Chevy, maybe the easiest and cheapest but that doesn't interest me, way too common a swap for me. I've got the rearend covered, just wondered what anyone here has done, was in touch with someone who had a BB Chevy in one which I heard went in pretty good but lost that contact but yes BBC or sim. would be nice.

Jerry.....(UK)
    Hi,

Traditionally, I suggest installing an updated Hornet motor in your Truck coupled to a 700R4 Od Trans. Or consider installing a 472 or 500" Caddy which have tremendous torque with modern electronics and dependibility... Lastly to be really different and make a statement, install a V10 Viper or Hemi motor....There certainly is enough room for a large motor....
  • there are just too many options. i hate to see a sbc in any old car other than a chevy. they are like buttholes... i am also not a fan of the bbc. i think there are way too many cool options out there, just find what is most conveinient for you. i think the hudson engine cost to rebuild is kind of a buzzkill. what style are you going to go with? late model/protouring? 50-60s hotrod? prostreet? gasser? daily driver? i am a mopar enthusiast so id say go for the 50-60s hotrod, go with a 361 golden lion or a 50s dual quad 383. that would be cool. pro touring, id go with a late model engine and cpu, vortec or hemi, there is agood amount of support out there now a sa lot of people are swapping these into old cars. ifi i ever decide to modify my essex, its going to get either one of my spare mopar 70s 400s with either 3 dueces (not the factory 6 pac) or factory 50s dual quad intake to look like like an early 383 or 361. of if i can find a buick nailhead locally, ill go with that, 3 dueces and a t5. i really like the nailhead for the early hotrod, its probably my fav. cheap, small in size, big cubes, and there are a decent amount of aftermarket parts. if its prostreet,your after, then i guess the tried and true bbc will work, but there are plenty of other big blocks out there.
  • bigboy308
    bigboy308 Expert Adviser
    Why not make like the convertible in Southern California and use a LEXUS V-8? There are quite a few "foreign" engines that might work--how about an inline BMW? Think Global!!
  • Closer to home would be a Jag V12 or one of the new hot V8s. The V12 isn't all that heavy and responds well to a modified intake with port injectors. Just my 2 cents worth...
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Hmmm a truck...Diesel is out for me too expensive unless you want to go biodiesel and then spend all your free time trying to find free grease!

For something unique and given it's a truck with a little extra space in the bed...how about a dual powered system with Gasoline/LP or straight LP if you fancy...still a lot lower priced than gas or diesel and a viable alternative.

Someday I want to take a stepdown and do a hybrid gas/electic that would be cool!
  • rambos_ride wrote:
    Hmmm a truck...Diesel is out for me too expensive unless you want to go biodiesel and then spend all your free time trying to find free grease!

For something unique and given it's a truck with a little extra space in the bed...how about a dual powered system with Gasoline/LP or straight LP if you fancy...still a lot lower priced than gas or diesel and a viable alternative.

Someday I want to take a stepdown and do a hybrid gas/electic that would be cool!

Now thats a excellent idea. Friend of mine did a 360 mopar, volarie front end and dual fuel in a 55 Ford pickum up. Boy that was nice
  • Ruth&Jerry wrote:

Jerry.....(UK)

Hi guys and thanks for all the input, been away for a weekend show and just read all the posts.

I appreciate you guys are throwing general ideas about regarding engine swaps but for my project the options are quite limited.

This project will probably be my last big build and will be something I keep hopefully forever (heard that one before).. I care less about economy, the enviroment, running costs which includes gas @ $10 a gallon right now over here!Build costs have to have some limitation but we can all pull a little extra cash out the hat if we need to right! I have my own views on what I should/shouldn't do with a rare vehicle and give that some respect too. But at the end of the day this is a toy for me and if I worried about any of the above then why do it in the first place, if that big block'll fit and gives me a smile every time I start it up then that's exactly what I want. If it sucks gas at an alarming rate and sets off everyones euro box car alarm when I pass by even better, this in no way will be built as a enviro neighbour friendly machine.

Like I said I appreciate what I have here and don't want to go beyond the point of no return so if someone in the future wants to 'restore' this truck then it will be fairly straightforward to do so. Hence I don't want to chop the frame, if the inner fenders need work so be it, also happy to rework the firewall as I have done in my current '41 just to get that little sb Ford in there.

So guys who's put what into one of these that works, for me it must be a US v8 petrol engine that will take a manual transmission I can make it fit and I don't care if sb Chevs are the best thing out there I don't want one.
  • rambos_ride
    Ruth&Jerry wrote:

... If it sucks gas at an alarming rate and sets off everyones euro box car alarm when I pass by even better, this in no way will be built as a enviro neighbour friendly machine.

I absolutely love your passion and ideas! I went GM 454 in my 49 Commodore because there just aren't many Hudsons out there with this kind of iron at heart and I also don't really care about fuel mileage - I am going to enjoy every second of driving because this is the only life I'll get to do it in!

I can't help you with stuffing a BBC into your truck but here's a link popular US v8 engines that has dimensions and weights - of course in US so you'll have to convert ;) With this you could mock one up in cardboard or

http://www.carnut.com/specs/engdim.html

Another option is to buy or rent a lightweight engine block mock-up made from plastic or foam...maybe a little more than you want to spend for your last build - but these make shoe-horning a BBC a bit easier than pulling the wieght of a real motor in and out for fitting purposes.

http://www.pitstopusa.com/searchresult.aspx?CategoryID=1932

If money isn't a big issue my dream setup has always been a BBC with Blower and Fuel Injection - or for a more inconspicous setup that would fit under the hood.. the Barry Grant Tri-Power Setup for BBC is pretty sweet looking. This as I know of is the only tri-pwr setup made for a BBC...

theone.bmp

I would say a good set of blockhugger headers would be in order - I recommend Sanderson Headers - they also provide dimensions for measuring and mock up purposes...I went with the QP2000 cast headers w/aluminum coating....

http://www.sandersonheaders.com/

MockUp_1med.jpg
  • bigboy308
    bigboy308 Expert Adviser
    Rambo---what about the ORIGINAL tri-power offered on the Stingray? it was the 435hp option, I think---
  • rambos_ride
    bigboy308 wrote:
    Rambo---what about the ORIGINAL tri-power offered on the Stingray? it was the 435hp option, I think---

I am no machinist or expert on GM powerplants but I believe the 348, 409, 427 were a different block and/or head arraingment - these are the only early GM big cubic inch setups I have ever seen with a tri-pwr setup...

The 396/454 are built on the same platform basics and I only know of the Barry Grant Tri-Pwr for that but you can get aftermarket low-rise dual-quad setups for the 396/454 for less than 1/2 the price (1000.00 USD) of the BG Tri-Pwr setup (2500.00 USD) - but the tri-pwr is more unique.

I'd guess a blower and fuel injection would be upwards of 3500.00+ and then you have to build the lower end accordingly.

Twin Turbos would be a nice option but you'd probably have to mount them under the bed and run return lines back to the engine compartment.

I just remembered this setup for a BBC I saw for sale on ebay last Sept (2006) - the guy wanted 2200.00 (probably a good deal?) but I couldn't decide at the time if I wanted this - it sure looks cool though...someone could probably contact the seller and see if they still own it...

ShouldI.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=260031948044
  • Dan, the 427 came in two different styles for the BBC. One was a derivative of the 396/454 and the other was a boosted 366 truck engine. I do know that the truck engines are different but not quite how.

The 348 and 409 are a breed of their own, the 'W' series I believe.
  • why not donate a jaguar xj6 to the mix
    front to rear
    the k frame atttaches with 4 bolts-- has 11 inch vented rotors-4 piston calipers and a rear steer rack and pinion---throw in a hot jag 6 cylinder and the jag rear----any european mechanic will be very comfortable with the sight----i am planning on the jag clip for my 50 pacemaker coupe and i will use a ford 300straight 6 FI with a 5 speed
    gordon
  • if you want something different I've got a poly hemi I pulled out of a 56 dodge custom royal still connected to the push button automatic ( kept the push button mechanism as well) it even has the e brake drum attached to the back of the tranny. All old school stuff if you're into that.
  • Dan&Rambo,

thanks so much for your input, your leads will really help a lot, I expect you read between the lines and gathered a Big block is the way I want to go, just need to be sure I can make it work. Think I'll mock up a couple of cardboard blocks and see how they look, will be looking at either a 454 Chev or 460 Ford. The distributor position may be a deciding factor as I'm concerned about the vent/heater box, don't really want to loose that. I have a few cool BBC parts laying around and I would love to use them, funny how things like that swing the decision too! Love those Saunderson headers you listed a lot also.Took the buck in for sanblasting today and will also be picking up the blasted and painted chassis off another Hudson truck I'm rebuilding later this week. Mean time been checking progress on my stripped down '34 H8 conv. which will end up looking like a hotrod which apart from the rear wheels and lowered will be pretty much all stock. The rears have been taken apart and had the original centres welded into new 7' hoops (originals were 4') that and 750 WW crossplies out back and 5s on the front give it a perfect stance. I've fitted the hood top sections only with hidden fasteners and taken out the rear chassis cross section and replaced it with a curved section that follows the curvature of the body, this will also be the mount for the rear lights. On the front I've removed the clumsy fender/ light supports and fabricated a new set that will double up as shock towers and bases for a set of Edmunds headlights, That and a few other minor additions/ mods and it's getting there. It will end up as a open sided roadster with no side glass and a modified ragtop with a lower roofline. The list could go on now I think about it but I'll stop there, anyone interested I'll get some pics up when I can, It's out of town having the wheels painted right now.
  • rambos_ride
    Ruth&Jerry - sounds pretty sweet when are you going to share some pictures? :)
  • rambos_ride
    http://http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/321085884.html

Here's an alternate Hudson powerplant...seller says he has a complete running setup for 2500 also...

1000 cu inches!

invader.jpg
  • Someone say "Diesel"??? The 6BT Cummins in the '89-'06 Dodges weighs in at over #1,400 installed and is far too heavy for the hudson. However, a smaller version, called the 4BT, is a four-cylinder version at approximately 240 ci and weighs around #850 dressed. It is found in many box trucks, bread vans, and such, in bodies by Grumman, Chevrolet, Ford, and others. you can find these trucks at auction for dirt cheap with very reasonable mileage.

Another option is a six-cylinder Mercedes Diesel from a 240D from the late '70s to around 1990. They are smaller and lighter than the Cummins 4BT, but slightly longer. A third option is the Mitsubishi Fuso truck engine from the late '80s. No computers in any of these and would be a relatively straight forward swap, it would seem. A Diesel is definitely an option - look at what Cubans have done since 1959!

One of you guys was mentioning Diesel as being too costly a fuel - that's nonsense! Per gallon, it is higher in many areas. BUT, the mileage difference and the durability FAR outweigh a gas engine, period. My '96 Dodge Cummins with 5-speed and 3.54 gears gets 22 mpg on the highway and over 17.5 in daily commuting. The same truck with a 360 would get 12 overall. The V-10 gets less than nine, no matter how you drive it! Price per gallon difference locally is around 17 cents per gallon. So, for less than 20 cents/gallon, extended range, durability, resale value, and overall ooomph, I'll drive my Diesel over a gas truck any day.

Since you are in the UK anyway, I'm sure you've though about a Rover V8 conversion (it was a '62 Buick engine to start with, so you're not going "Euro" to speak of!), plus they are cheap there and easy to mod up.
  • I haven't tried any engine swap. I haven't dared to touch any of the engine parts even my car's VW engine mount. Just a little afraid of ruining its complicated components.:D
  • if you guys need a diesel fix--look into the Perkins 6 engine---there was a guy running one in a 51 chev fast back---its not so heavy as a cummins 6----i had one in a 72 dodge C600 with a flatbed---and i wish i had the old truck still ----gordon
  • rambos_ride
    It's funny how diesel is now cheaper around here than gas - just a couple of months ago it was flip-flopped.

That Invader engine is 1000lbs with the transmission - YIKES!

That big engine would be cool in one of the Hudson "Big Boy" Trucks but would never fit a stepdown!
  • Hello, I am installing a LS2 in a 49 coupe. It is a complete drop out, I will let you know how it goes.
  • commodore8 wrote:
    Hello, I am installing a LS2 in a 49 coupe. It is a complete drop out, I will let you know how it goes.

You may get to your install before me. I'm interested on how you think it went with the EFI wiring and such. I'm using a '95 Vette LT1 and will have to deal with the EFI/ECM issues as well (I did get the entire wiring harness, computer, etc. with the engine/tranny).

Jay
  • rambos_ride
    jsrail wrote:
    You may get to your install before me. I'm interested on how you think it went with the EFI wiring and such. I'm using a '95 Vette LT1 and will have to deal with the EFI/ECM issues as well (I did get the entire wiring harness, computer, etc. with the engine/tranny).

Jay

Jay - I wonder if it wouldn't be better to ditch the factory harness and go with an aftermarket solution.

I know they make systems to fit the newer engines and electronics.

My thinking is you are going to end up with a lot of extra wiring with the factory harness that isn't going to be used or needed - why have the extra weight and mess?
  • Dan, I'm just going to see how it goes. Those engine harnesses I've heard of are very expensive and for at least to get the engine running I may stick with the original harness for now. Just have to cross that bridge when I get there. If its too much hassle I just have to go with the new style harness, I just don't know yet. I think Barry used a new one on his and it was around $795 (hope he'll corect me if I'm wrong). I'm going with the EZ Wiring harness for the rest of the car, they're on sale now for $185 for a 21 circuit harness. Cyrus put one into his '49 and it was very easy, the wires are marked every 5-6".

Jay
  • rambos_ride wrote:
    It's funny how diesel is now cheaper around here than gas - just a couple of months ago it was flip-flopped.

That Invader engine is 1000lbs with the transmission - YIKES!

That big engine would be cool in one of the Hudson "Big Boy" Trucks but would never fit a stepdown!

Never say never! I've seen pictures of your metal work.... Invader engine, suicide doors........ Rambo with his goggles on..... yea, that's the ticket.
  • rambos_ride
    52 kahuna wrote:
    Never say never! I've seen pictures of your metal work.... Invader engine, suicide doors........ Rambo with his goggles on..... yea, that's the ticket.

You'd want to drop a full frame under a stepdown to handle the weight and torque of that Invader Engine - That's why I was thinking the Hudson Truck if it could even fit into the thing!

Lot's of dreams and not a lot of money!
This discussion has been closed.