Plastic parts and Driveshaft questions

RG53Hornet
RG53Hornet Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Hello to all,

I’m putting a 53 Hornet back together that has been in the hands least two owners since it was taken apart, and I have a few questions.

First off, how interchangeable are the plastic lenses used for the front marker and rear taillights on 52-53 Hornets? I found a tail light lens at a swap meet a few years ago and it looked like the right shape, but was lacking the screw bosses that I think mine used to have. So I did not get it. Because my Hornet is from somewhere in the Nevada desert (which is good because I have no rust anywhere top or bottom to deal with.) all I’m left with for tail lamp lenses is a box with some red dust and crumbs in it. I have nothing at all for the front marker/turn signal lenses. Is any of this available aftermarket?

Second would be the center drive shaft bearing. It’s in sad shape and missing the rubber mounting stuff. Any sources for that?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Bill Albright Here Hudson. Dealer, Have 40 Parts Cars Used New And Repro Parts. Can Help With Most Anything For Hudson. Call 909 823 9168 Or Stop By 20 Restored Hudsons On Hand
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Robert, you need to get hold of the K-Gap Catalog. Full of rubber weatherseals and plastic light lenses for Hudsons. They charge $2 (I think) but refund it on the first order. Kgap@earthlink.net By the way, K-Gap and many other Hudson suppliers advertise in the H-E-T newsletter. If you're not a Hudson club member yet, do consider it. http://www.hudsonclub.org/
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    Robert, was that "non-fitting" taillight lens glass? Early '52s had glass lenses and different bezels than those for the later '52 and '53 plastic lenses.
  • RG53Hornet
    I’m sure it was plastic and in a box of misc Hudson parts. I had only had my car for about 6 months at the time, but not counting the missing screw bosses it looked right. I should have got it anyway, but at the time the need for taillights was a long way off. I’m going to give K-gap a call for the catalog and call Mr. Albright and see what he has. Also I do need to join the HET club, as I’m getting more focused on getting the car on the road by this summer.

Anybody have any thoughts as to the center bearing and hardware?

Thanks!
  • Club Coupe
    Club Coupe Expert Adviser
    Try Napa #88506 for the carrier bearing
  • hudsonguy
    hudsonguy Senior Contributor
    K-Gap has the rubber bushings for your center driveshaft bearing, also.
  • RG53Hornet
    All good info...Puts me two steps closer to the road!
This discussion has been closed.