Choke heat sleeves

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Somewhere way back there was a post on where to obtain the (what appears to be ) asbestos sleeves that go over the heat pipes that go from manifold to carbs.

Mine are getting really ragged looking and I'd like to replace them. Can someone suggest a source for some new ones?

Also -- my twin H exhaust manifold is cracked at the center two ports, and I'm thinking of taking it off and attempting to have it repaired by welding. I'm told this cracking is fairly common on twin H, so maybe someone else has done this fix and if so, was the effort successfull, or should I just go looking for another manifold? I assume one would just do the common cast iron welding method ( heat the parts up very hot before welding ), but what rod would be the best?

silverone

Comments

• Club Coupe
    Club Coupe Expert Adviser
    The asbestos sleeves are available from J.C. Whitney.
  • Repair of a twin H manifold is a task for an experienced Cast Iron welder.... if the crack is not immense, I would try JB Weld. JBWeld is a Texas Concoction that has saved many a automtove part.

Good Luck

Ken
  • Thanks Ken, I knew of JB weld, but hadn't thought of it for this application. I'll give it a try and post the results after some "road" tests.

silverone
  • I shall contact JC Whitney immediately! Thanks for the tip.
  • hudsonguy
    hudsonguy Senior Contributor
    Silver,

There's another product that's made for high heat applications like this. It's made by POR-15, and it's called 'Fireseal', or something like that. I've used it to fill small voids in the mating faces of my single manifolds, and it works really well. It dries hard as steel, and it's machinable, much like JB weld, but it's capable of withstanding something like 2000 degrees. It's in liquid form in a little pouch that would be real easy to apply to a cracked manifold.

Good Luck,

Doug
  • Club Coupe
    I am a firm believer in JB Weld and have used it for years. I repaired a hole in a gas tank probably 20+ years ago and it is still holding. I ever repaired a hole in a oil pan with it. The only time that JB Weld ever let me down was when I used it on a cracked exhaust header. It literally fell off within an hour. I may not have prepped the repair area correctly, but that is my experience with JB Weld and high heat temperatures, for what it is worth. I'm glad to find out about the Fireseal product as I have a small crack on a transmission and was hesitant to use JB Weld due to the fact that the crack is very close to the exhaust pipe.
  • The POR-15 product seems like a good idea too Doug. I'll see if I can scratch some up somewhere and give it a try on something also. Unfortunately while trying to remove the manifold I noticed that one ear on the collector port flange was broken off also, leaving me thinking I'm gonna be lookin' for another manifold anyway. I really doubt JB or POR-15 is capable of holding that on!

Thanks for the input! Its much appreciated.

silverone.
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    Are the Whitney asbestos sleeves the ones they show for fuel line insulation? (pg. 209, with carburetors, etc., in a recent catalog). If so, not sure what I'd do with the rest of the 4 foot length (oh ... insulate the fuel line, maybe?)
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    There's a new product called 'Castaloy' made by the same people as 'Alumaloy'. Both low temp weld.

I've seen the aluminum results and it's impressive. No experience with the cast iron yet, but am gonna try it on the old Buda Jugs for the Sanford Fire Truck.
  • Club Coupe
    Park W wrote:
    Are the Whitney asbestos sleeves the ones they show for fuel line insulation? (pg. 209, with carburetors, etc., in a recent catalog). If so, not sure what I'd do with the rest of the 4 foot length (oh ... insulate the fuel line, maybe?)

That's them. Insulating the fuel line isn't a bad idea. I was going to make miniature oven mitts from the excess. LOL
This discussion has been closed.