Hydra-matic

SuperDave
SuperDave Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
These new fangled cars with the automatic transmisions confound me..I have a 54 with dual range Hydro. I ordered a rear seal from one of the Hudson suppliers. It looks a lot different than the one I took out. It will work..meaning it has the correct ID and OD. That's where the similarity ends.The original is about 1/2 again wider and has a felt dust seal portion, where the replacement does not. The replacement is so short, the metal dust shield that came with the transmission will not go back on. I suppoose the new seal will keep the fluid from running out the back like the old hardened seal did..I wonder if I used two seals, would there be enough sticking out to install the original dust shield? Anyone been there before? I s'pose I could write to the supplier, but thought I might air the problem here to see if there is any information out there.

Dave W Fl. :confused:

Comments

• SuperDave wrote:
    These new fangled cars with the automatic transmisions confound me..I have a 54 with dual range Hydro. I ordered a rear seal from one of the Hudson suppliers. It looks a lot different than the one I took out. It will work..meaning it has the correct ID and OD. That's where the similarity ends.The original is about 1/2 again wider and has a felt dust seal portion, where the replacement does not. The replacement is so short, the metal dust shield that came with the transmission will not go back on. I suppoose the new seal will keep the fluid from running out the back like the old hardened seal did..I wonder if I used two seals, would there be enough sticking out to install the original dust shield? Anyone been there before? I s'pose I could write to the supplier, but thought I might air the problem here to see if there is any information out there.
    Dave W Fl. :confused:
    Dave:

I thought U might benefit from the following information:

ont=Arial]same as 57-61 Chevrolet turbo glide #46328[/font]- Dave S Hudson Chat 53&54 Hydramatic rear seals should be the same.

Be Happy Auto Trans. Parts 414 Stivers Road Hillsboro, OH 45133 800-416-2862
    Mail order only. Owner operated by David & Mona Crone. Dealing in automatic transmission rebuilding kits, external dry-up kits, and hard parts. 1940-1965 NOS, NORS, good used, Dynaflow, Dual path, Flightpitch, Hydramatic, Jetaway, Slim Jim, Roto 5, Powerglide, Turboglide, Powerflite, Torqueflite, 3-Band, Ultramatic etc. Technical assistance, exploded views, trouble shooting and repair literature. Orders for individual gaskets, seals, etc. welcome. Free wholesale price list. We are open late for our West Coast customers. Master Card, VISA, Discover, CODs accepted.

Automatic Transmission Parts 1946 to the mid 60'sDavid Edwards (56 Dale Street) P. O. Box 245 Needham Heights, MA 02194-0245 Phone: 1-781-449-2065 Evenings (6 PM to Midnight) Fax: 1-781-449-2065 Midnight to 6 PM

National Seal Book... Rear seal 51-56---- 7037S

Victor Seal Rear Trans Seal 49743

With all of this type of information... the original seal comparison is the disciminator... the information provided is all found on my website... and is as always ... good only if it matchs what you are trying to accomplish... given in hopes it will assist.

Good Luck
    :)
This discussion has been closed.