Fuel delivery/ carburetor kit - 1951 Hornet

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Greetings from Colorado!

A fuel question. Gas tank refurbished. Fuel lines from tank to pump, cleaned, new rubber. Fuel pump [dual action- fuel/vacuum] rebuilt. All new rubber hoses, [fuel/vacuum]. Car starts fine, idles fine. Clear filter never “fills up”. Engine revs smoothly. Under load, engine pulls away fine then “runs out of fuel”. Wait for a little bit, starts right back up. Engine pulls away fine then “runs out of fuel”.

No, I have not rebuilt the carburetor yet. I did pull the top of the carburetor and the fuel bowl was full of bugs! This car has been sitting for 33 years… The carburetor rebuild is next on my list.

Here’s the question.

If there is a restriction at the carburetor, would this prevent the filter from filling up?

With the engine idling, I can crack the screen housing on top of the fuel bowl and get lots of fuel. I can also crack the line where it enters the carburetor and have plenty of pressure. My next step is to disconnect the fuel line from the carburetor, hook up a gravity feed and see what volume the fuel pump is producing while the engine is running.

I am leaning towards a plugged/restricted fuel path in the carburetor. Any thoughts?

Does anyone know if I can obtain a carburetor rebuild kit at one of the major auto parts house or is this a special item? I tried NAPA and my series [as identified by the brass tag] was not listed.

Carter Model WGD: Series 776S . There also appears to be “13” stamped between a chevron and an arrow which are cut out of the tag.

Thank you!

George T

Comments

• George T. wrote:
    Greetings from Colorado!

A fuel question. Gas tank refurbished. Fuel lines from tank to pump, cleaned, new rubber. Fuel pump [dual action- fuel/vacuum] rebuilt. All new rubber hoses, [fuel/vacuum]. Car starts fine, idles fine. Clear filter never “fills up”. Engine revs smoothly. Under load, engine pulls away fine then “runs out of fuel”. Wait for a little bit, starts right back up. Engine pulls away fine then “runs out of fuel”.

No, I have not rebuilt the carburetor yet. I did pull the top of the carburetor and the fuel bowl was full of bugs! This car has been sitting for 33 years… The carburetor rebuild is next on my list.

Here’s the question.

If there is a restriction at the carburetor, would this prevent the filter from filling up?

With the engine idling, I can crack the screen housing on top of the fuel bowl and get lots of fuel. I can also crack the line where it enters the carburetor and have plenty of pressure. My next step is to disconnect the fuel line from the carburetor, hook up a gravity feed and see what volume the fuel pump is producing while the engine is running.

I am leaning towards a plugged/restricted fuel path in the carburetor. Any thoughts?

Does anyone know if I can obtain a carburetor rebuild kit at one of the major auto parts house or is this a special item? I tried NAPA and my series [as identified by the brass tag] was not listed.

Carter Model WGD: Series 776S . There also appears to be “13” stamped between a chevron and an arrow which are cut out of the tag.

Thank you!

George T
    George:

There are several sources of carb kits to include folks in the Hudson club. One search for Hudson WGD 776S brought up the following site URL...
    http://www.carburetion.com/

They list the kit you need at $39.95 each... the folks there offer rebuild services too... do not know them... just found a source on the net.

Hope this will get U started.
  • Club Coupe
    Club Coupe Expert Adviser
    Dave Kostansek has the kits and probably may even have a rebuilt carb. With your reworking the entire fuel system, I suggest rebuilding the carb before you do anything else. That may solve your problem. Two other thoughts: check the leather seal at the pump for breaks rot, etc. and check the fuel filter itself for being clean and correct.
  • Club Coupe
    Club Coupe Expert Adviser
    I just got an e-mail from the Hudson guru in my area who read your post and wanted me to pass along his advise which is to clean the screen filter under the brass cap where the fuel line enters the carb. I'm betting that he is right on point. Let me know.
  • Try us at 21stcenturyhudson.net We have kits in stock
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    But to answer the original questions, (1) yes it's quite normal that the fuel filter won't be full of fuel, and (2) yes, a restriction in the carburetor will produce the symptoms you describe. One that really baffled me a few years ago was a case where an improperly cut bowl cover gasket was keeping the float from dropping as far as it should have, thus the needle valve wasn't opening very far. Same thing can happen if the float drop is maladjusted so it's significantly less than specified (maladjusted owners or mechanics are another thing , of course!)
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    One time I had a 1964 International pickup that exhibited symptoms similar to yours. Fuel pup was delivering fuel and filter was not an issue as there wasn't one in the glass filter bowl (I did install an inline filter). Removing the fuel line at the carb I discovered that there was some material blocking the fuel flow - it turned out later that it was from, of all places, the bottom of the floor mat. To explain that - those IH pickups had the gas tank under the passenger side floor. Over the years mud and salt, etc, had built up between the front top of the tank and the floor and rusted holes in both. Gas from the tank ate the hairy material off the bottom of the floor mat and the holes allowed that material to fall into the tank. Needless to say we replaced the tank and patched the hole in the floor.

Hudsonly,

Alex B
  • Great thoughts, ideas, solutions and parts sources! The next step will be a carb rebuild.

I will post my findings on this thread once I find the answer.

Thanks to all!

George T.
  • davegnh
    davegnh Expert Adviser
    Is the tank properly vented?
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    Excellent question ... reminded me that no one's asked if the gas cap is of the (required) vented type. Remove the cap temporarily and see if the problem disappears.
  • I had thought of the gas cap and removed it just to see. Same symptoms.

Good thought.

George T.
This discussion has been closed.