Value of 48 Hudson Commodore?

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
My husband's grandmother parked her 48 hudson commodore in the garage 25-30 years ago and wouldn't let anyone do anything with it. She has now passed away and we have the task of finding out what it is worth and if it can be sold. I don't even know where to begin. I know that it has some exterior body rust and that the floor board might be rusted through on the passenger side. The inside is in amazingly great condition. It has the original leather (?) uphostery and the wood dash and panel are all still very pretty. I do know that it is sitting on its axels or deflated tires and I know it hasn't been started since it was parked in the garage. We don't even know where the keys are to it.

Could anyone tell me where I could find out what it is worth or if the parts might be worth something? I would love to see someone restore it. I would rather sell it to someone with that intention, though I know someone like that is hard to find.

Any help would be great!

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    The value depends a lot on the basic condition of the car. Surface rust and a bit of floor rust would be one thing. But if the perimeter frame of the car is badly rotted in the area near and behind the rear wheels, then the cost to repair the frame alone will run into the thousands of dollars and the car is probably not worth restoring (assuming it is a standard 4-door sedan). That said, the car will certainly have value as a parts donor car, to the owner of a similar vehicle.

In what part of Texas do you live? The Hudson club has numerous members in that state and if one of them lives nearby, he might be willing to come over, take a quick look at the car, and render an opinion as to its worth.

You could then devise a price (and add to it, 'or best offer'), and place an ad for the car in the newsletter of the Hudson-Essex-Terraplane Club, which will cost you nothing if you work through a member like myself. Or, if you're in a rush to sell, just list it on Ebay and take the winning bid.

So, again, let us know what part of Texas you're in and maybe we can find you a 'live' person to render an opinion!
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Dee, the old cars price guide suggests $1800 for a car needing that kind of work. Don't part it out. Sombody is looking for one like it to restore.
  • How about some pictures?
  • Club Coupe
    Club Coupe Expert Adviser
    Another way to establish value is to contact an antique car appraiser. An easy way to find such a person would be to contact insurance carriers that insure antique vehicles. I think that Texas is a title state and you will most likely need a title to get top dollar, so when searching for the keys look for the title also. Uncle Josh is right that a one owner garaged car is in all likelyhood too good to part out.
  • I beg to differ but the only "value" is what the market will pay. An appraisal means nothing but for insurance claims. How many cars do you see sell on ebay that sell for what the are supposedly worth?

Club Coupe wrote:
    Another way to establish value is to contact an antique car appraiser. An easy way to find such a person would be to contact insurance carriers that insure antique vehicles. I think that Texas is a title state and you will most likely need a title to get top dollar, so when searching for the keys look for the title also. Uncle Josh is right that a one owner garaged car is in all likelyhood too good to part out.
  • Club Coupe
    Club Coupe Expert Adviser
    elemint wrote:
    I beg to differ but the only "value" is what the market will pay. An appraisal means nothing but for insurance claims. How many cars do you see sell on ebay that sell for what the are supposedly worth?

Boy am I stupid! I would have sworn that the original question was about ways to establish the value of a '48 Commodore. I guess you told me!
This discussion has been closed.