36 Coupe needs front Clip

Unknown
edited November -1 in Street Rods
I just bought a 36 Hudson Coupe. It has no front clip. It had a Mustang II but they cut it off for a ford coupe (ick! not another one). One of my buddies recomended a Nova clip but I am looking for some advice from the hot rod guys. I am going to make a resto rod not a hot rod. It has a 350 and automatic. I want to make it into a convertible also. Well bring on the advice.

Comments

• rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    For what you are planning you are better of building or having a new frame built.

Making it into a convertible will add additional stresses and having a cut frame will not be good - :D these do have full frames don't they?
  • I'd go with Dan on this one. Go with a new frame (or restored old one). Or custom build one. I have a stub only because I have a uni-body. I'm sure someone around must have a frame laying around they'd sell. A friend of mine has a '35 Terraplane sitting on a duece frame. You've got more options than us step-down guys.

What is the diff between resto-rods and hot rods? Way too many categories these days for my confused mind. When I used to build em years ago, you had original (or restoration to original) and hot rodded. Maybe someone could post a dictionary of terms here, that might be interesting, seems like its getting too complicated these days. lol

Jay
  • If the frame is like the one under my 47 it is plenty strong enough. The frame under mine is boxed with an integral X. If your good with a welder make your own front frame and run mustang II or how bout a straight axle for the gasser look? Here's mine so far.

http://groups.msn.com/HudsonEssexTerraplaneBulletinBoard/hudsonspeedparts.msnw?Page=4
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Rick - someday we may be able to build a car and not worry about the money - like after I win the Lotto!

Jay - I deal with the same thing all day in programming land ~ Nothing REALLY new has come along they just repackage old acronyms into new ones like "WEB 2.0" and "AJAX" (programming concepts I've been doing for years is now the "hot" thing)

For me a pure Hot-Rod is a build where keeping original lines, trim, interior etc. is not important and stripping the car down of it's un-needed parts and pieces to get the wieght down and performance up.

I think a Resto-Rod is just what the name implies...this is a build where there's a concerted effort to keep the car looking close to original but updating electricals and mechanicals to more modern parts. Performance and wieght savings are secondary.

But that's just my take on it - what do I know LOL
  • Just a caution; a friend of mine had a rolling chasis built by a company in St. Louis Mo. to go under a hump back 35 Dodge panel. It was a complete disaster. I would go to a large reputable company like TCI in Ca.

Barry
  • id go out and buy some 2x3 steel tubing and make my own new front clip, maybe run a ford style strait axle with a split wishbone setup. box the remaning frame and it will be stronger than any stock frame out there, are you going to run fenders or no? that kind of makes a differenc in your options.
This discussion has been closed.