1933 Essex-Terraplane Eight value

terraplane8
terraplane8 Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I am looking at buying a deluxe sedan that has been parked up for 45 years.

Apparently it is all there and complete, original paint, interior is original but the car does need a full restoration. It has light surface rust on the tops of the rear guards and some other places.

What is its value?

I don't seem to be able to work out how to attach images how is this done?

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    It's extremely hard for us to hand you a value without seeing the car...and even then, so few of these cars are sold every year that it's difficult to arrive at some sort of 'standard price'. You might offer a reasonable price and the seller might have an inflated vision of the car's value. Or you could get it for a song.

If the car is 100% there and is only surface rusted, and the engine is free, I'd venture to say it's worth at least $3,000. This is a one-year only for the Terraplane Eight, but on the other hand 4-door sedans are valued less highly than their coupe and convertible brothers. If you get it, and it's fairly original and in good shape, you might want to consider only fixing those things that are really bad, and leaving the rest of the car as-is.

Regarding the publishing of images here, an image must first exist somewhere else on internet to be posted here. You cannot upload photos directly to the Forum. You can click on PHOTO GALLERY and upload your photo there. Or, you may go to the Hudson Photo Album site at http://groups.msn.com/HudsonEssexTerraplaneBulletinBoard/_whatsnew.msnw , start your own photo album, and then publish several photos there, in your own album. Whatever you do, once the photo exists somewhere on the Web, place cursor over photo, right-click, then (when the menu appears in the window) left-click on the word PROPERTIES. A window will open within which is an ADDRESS line, and that is the magic code which gives the URL of the photo. Copy and paste the URL to the form in which you insert your message, here. (yellow square in the form, is the INSERT IMAGE icon).
  • hudsonsplasher1
    hudsonsplasher1 Senior Contributor
    The Old Car Price guide shows a number 5 car needing total restoration at around $2,100. The price will very some depending on the options that may be on the car.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Of course I'd want to see more of the car if I were you...but from what I see, it looks pretty solid. (One thing I'd be curious about: the condition of the fabric insert top. If rain got into that years ago, the woodwork could have rotted and you'd have additional expense.) You're right though, you could drop a pile into that car to restore it. So be careful about what you offer for it, because every dollar spent up front is a dollar you won't have for paint, bodywork, reupholstery, plating, engine work, etc. down the line.
  • terraplane8
    Jon B wrote:
    Of course I'd want to see more of the car if I were you...but from what I see, it looks pretty solid. (One thing I'd be curious about: the condition of the fabric insert top. If rain got into that years ago, the woodwork could have rotted and you'd have additional expense.) You're right though, you could drop a pile into that car to restore it. So be careful about what you offer for it, because every dollar spent up front is a dollar you won't have for paint, bodywork, reupholstery, plating, engine work, etc. down the line.

OK, so working backwards, what is this model worth fully restored? The problem is, it is hard to find a restored one actually available for sale as I have been looking for a while. That would be my preference as I know how much time and money restoration takes.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I haven't seen any fully restored '33 T8's for sale for a long time, but a very nice 2-door sedan was on the market (in the WTN) in 2003 for $23,000. Not restored but in excellent original condition (paint a bit faded) with 34,700 original miles. No rust, dents or boy repairs. And -- it's not a sedan, but -- the same fellow was selling a '33 T8 convertible coupe in #1 restored condition for $55,000 at the time. So maybe by averaging these out, you can arrive an an estimate of what a fully-restored 4-door would cost.
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    About three years ago a nice top of the line sedan with twin side mounts went to Auburn and brought a bid of $48,000. This car was technically unrestored, but had a nice paint job and excellent original interior (it's the one Dale Matlock had at Portland in '89, subsequently owned by Herbert Bell). The bid didn't meet the reserve, and the car was sold more recently for something in the twenties, I believe.
  • My honest guess is that the cost to restore the car would exceed its resale value. With that said, the car may be a worthy candidate for restoration and preservation. Money isn't everything, and the old car hobby is making few people rich.

Good Luck

Steve
  • terraplane8
    Another candidate has come onto my radar, this time in Europe:

http://www.classiccar.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1363&password=&sort=1&cat=998&page=1

There are a couple of other images as well in this album. The interior looks in as new condition, and apparently the motor has been rebuilt. Asking $20,500. Is this a fair price if it is as good as it looks?

The vendor says that it jumps out of second but that he just uses first and third. Also the badge is missing from the luggage rack at the rear.

It certainly does look in very good straight condition and I would be interested to hear the thoughts of the T8 experts on here.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Europe seems a long way to go to pay $20,000.....and then the costs of shipping it home. Plus, unless you go over there to inspect it you're at the mercy of the seller's description. Unless you are desperate, I'd bide my time and check the Hemmings and WTN ads from time to time. You also might contact the registrar for '32's and ask if he knows of any older owners of some nice '32 who may seem ready to pare down his collection, and part with his car.
  • terraplane8
    If anyone here can point me in the direction of a car that is or could be for sale in good condition I would be grateful.

A regular sedan is fine.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    well, in the January Hudson newsletter there was a '33 8-cyl coupe listed for $25000, had overdrive added (for speed one would guess), and same person had a '33 Essex' (didn't say what body style or whether a six or eight) for $12,000 or best offer. Lorain Reese, Austinberg, Ohio (440) 969-1410.
  • Ok, the time has come. I have to paint the jams, firewall, the area around the decklid etc so I can get on with putting the car back together. I need to make a decision on a color and I cant seem to pull the trigger.

When I purchased the car there was about 1/8" of Maroon paint on it, complete with drips, orange peel and assorted other paint nightmares, including a few hundred pounds of all-metal filler (note to self, don't buy a car again without seeing it in person). The cowl vent and door shells had some of the original blue paint and the stamping on the Pass door hinge (E-18) confirmed that the car was originally "Brigade Blue", a real 40's color to say the least. I am kinda leaning towards going back to it for originality sake and the fact that I have never seen one this color. That being said, I am also considered three other 49 Hudson colors: "Roman Red", "Radiant Red", and "Gull Gray Poly" (G-2). While the reds are attractive for resale purposes, I dont like the way they will contrast with the Maroon leather interior. Was wondering what you all thought. I have a pint of each and will be spraying some sample panels to get a better idea, but here is a rough idea of what they all look like.....

Feed back appreciated!

1> Brigade Blue Poly (E-18)

http://www.villagephotos.com/image.asp?id_=13376738

2> Roman Red (M-19)

http://www.villagephotos.com/image.asp?id_=13376739

3> Radiant Red (RR-16)

http://www.villagephotos.com/image.asp?id_=13376737

4> Gull Gray Poly (G-2)

http://www.villagephotos.com/image.asp?id_=13376736
  • If You Like It Buy It Negotiate For Lowest Price And Go On As Many Aid, It Is A Labor Of Love And Nobody Gets Rich Restoreing A Hudson. Costs Always Exceed The Resale Value, But What Would You Take For Your Wife And Kids??? The Cars Become Part Of The Family Too Bill Albright
  • terraplane8
    Thanks for your advice Bill. In fact, I have now completed negotiations just today at $19,000 plus shipping at my cost from Hamburg to New Zealand. So that is one confirmed "international sales statistic" for this model!

The car has never had any rust and little use, and was laid up from the '50's to the late '70's, being refurbished at that time. It is LHD with twin sidemounts and luggage rack and apparently this green is the original colour, with half a dozen cars all the same brought to Norway new.

I'm looking forward to driving it around regularly (it has a fully rebuilt engine costing $8,700) once Geoff Clark has fixed the "jumping out of second" problem in the gearbox.
  • Bill Allbright said it all, Boy did he nail it down. You will enjoy it.
  • http://groups.msn.com/HudsonEssexTerraplaneBulletinBoard/nielshudson.msnw?Page=1

Hope this works.... notice the period accessories: fender guides, faux supercharger pipes. They are still on the car. Pretty cool. Niels
This discussion has been closed.