Air cond.

super651
super651 Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Has anyone installed a Air Cond. compressor on a 1947 with in-line 8 engine?

If so , what side on engine would the mount bracket be on ?

Is there a mount bracket that is built already and by who?

Thanks to all. Rudy.

Comments

• Duke Marley Of North Carolina Installed Air On A Straight 8
  • Since I have a straight 8 in my 52 Commodore, I was hoping to see a lot of response to this thread. How to use a single pully, and placement of compresssor woluld be nice to know.

Pat from WPA.
  • Check out the replys on this topic on page 4. They were very helpful. If you want the stuff that was sent to me, send me an email address with lots of room and a high speed link.
  • alexa wrote:
    Check out the replys on this topic on page 4. They were very helpful. If you want the stuff that was sent to me, send me an email address with lots of room and a high speed link.

Alexa: Please check your messages.

Also, I had followed the link on air conditioning on page four quite closely. however, I assumed (that may have been the problem) that since they were discussing an air unit installed on a six that they had used the double pulley available from the later 308's to drive the compressor. Since to my knowledge, no 8 used a double pully, a serptine belt system would have to be devised. It is this single belt drive that was my main question.
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    I have a 49 six with a modified crank pulley. perhaps you can do a similar operation on yours. The flange portion of the pulley was turned off on a lathe and a double aluminum pulley was bolted on. Since we went to a GM alternator and 12 volts, all that was left to do is install a narrow waterpump drive pulley. A junk yard should supply a number of water pump drive pulleys with nothing more than a redrill of the mounting bolts. I found that the standard Chevy bolt spacing was a little wide and the Ford was smaller. Using one belt for all of it might be asking a lot from the bearings in the various parts. You also need a good bit of belt contact to avoid slippage. That applies to both the compressor and the alternator. If you are set on using one belt, Perhaps mounting the compressor on the upper right of thre engine and use an idler pulley underneath to cause a large degree of contact patch with the compessor. What ever you do, keep the forum updated. Might save someone else a lot of grief!

Good Luck, Dave W.
This discussion has been closed.