Engine and underbody color, 51 Hornet

Walt-LA
Walt-LA Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
What was the shade of gold on the early Hornet engines? After removing the grease, undercoating etc, I've found most of the pan to be done in (what appears to be) red lead. Was this the final coat? or did I take that off with the undercoat? Frame doesn't show any paint. Thanks, W

Comments

• Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    For the engine, Duplicolor 500 degree engine paint, in "Universal Gold" color, is as close as it gets. Available at NAPA and other parts houses. Red primer was probably what was under the undercoat on the body, but would have had considerable body color overspray anywhere near the edges. I've never seen a '51 that was not undercoated, so the black undercoating is really what you'd see.
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Walt, I've got a couple of cans of Universal Gold engine paints good to 500 deg.

Plasticote #223 in 11 oz spray can

Dupli-color #DE1604 in 12 spray can This one looks a hair darker on the can cover.

I used some of the Plasticote to spiffy up the old Hornet and it was so close to what was there, I couldn't tell the difference.
  • Walt-LA
    Walt-LA Senior Contributor
    Park, Uncle Josh-

Thanks very much! I'll try NAPA for Dupli-Color. Back-up with the Plasticoat! W
This discussion has been closed.