Drive Shaft Length

TOM-WA-
TOM-WA- Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I Have a 1954 Hudson WASP with a 3 speed OverDrive Transmission..

What I need to know is the exact length of the REAR DRIVE SHAFT for this car...

Is there anyone with a similar car (WASP or PACEMAKER) and the same Transmission set-up that could measure their REAR DRIVE SHAFT for me and provide me with this size.......Also need to know if the measured lenth is from center to center of both front and rear U joints...

THANKS<

TOM

TOM

Comments

• Aaron D. IL
    Aaron D. IL Senior Contributor
    Hey Tom. I would think that you don't have to trim the driveshaft you have since someone should have an overdrive driveshaft ready to plug in. Measurements should be from the center though I believe.
  • hudsonguy
    hudsonguy Senior Contributor
    Tom,

I second Aaron's comment to get another driveshaft if possible. I recently upgraded my '49 from standard to overdrive, and was lucky enough to find a complete donor car, so now I've still got my old driveshaft and transmission as viable back-ups.

Of course, that's a lot easier said than done. You may have difficulty locating one, and just want to go ahead with the cutting to get it done. The only word of warning I have, is that I know of a friend that did this, and he estimates that he missed that correct length by less than a quarter of an inch (1/4"), and he can feel it in the driveline when he goes over bumps, etc. I believe he cut it too long.
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Tom-Wa

I have a complete driveshaft from a 49 Commodore 8 with overdrive.

Would the measurements and or the driveshaft itself help you?

I'm replacing my complete drivetrain and the parts are just sitting here in the Seattle area...
  • Tom,

I measured my rear driveshaft today.

From center to center of the u-joints, its exactly 27.5 inches. You had also asked to measure the amount of spline showing with it resting at "ride height". So I jacked it up and blocked it up under the wheels - and I never saw the splines exposed any appreciabe amount. I didn't take the little "cup" off to see how much spline was showing beneath it and the female yoke, but I think its safe to say that movement is pretty minimal.

Hope this helps

Mark Hudson
  • hudsonguy
    For What It's Worth;

I'm pretty sure that even though the Wasp and Pacemaker are a shorter wheelbase car, this difference is all in the front end. In other words the driveshafts will be the same length as the rest of the stepdowns. Also, I know for a fact that the rear shaft should be the same for all models, because the front shaft is the one that changes length depending upon your transmission.
  • TOM-WA-
    TOM-WA- Senior Contributor
    Thanks to everyone who assisted me with my drive shaft question..I learned alot..

I have obtained a Shorter REAR DRIVE SHAFT to install in my car..

Yes it's True the REAR DRIVE SHAFT on a Wasp is shorter...by a whopping 1/2" and that makes the difference....
  • hudsonguy
    I stand corrected.
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    The 48-54 Master parts book list at least SEVEN different part numbers for the rear shaft assembly not including the Jet! 12 different fronts! So much for interchangeability..

Dave W
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    The problem arises not because of the different wheelbases, but because of changed design features. I understand that the short wheelbase cars have a shorter front shaft, but the problem is that the design changed from having a sliding spline on the front shaft, to having the sliding spline on the rear shaft, which meant that both shafts are differing lengths. Also the later type rear end had a different length pinion, which meant a shorter rear shaft! Confused??? Just remember one of the corollories of the Irish optimist Murphy' Law - "Interchangeable will exhibit fundamental differences"

Geoff.
This discussion has been closed.