homebuilt 51 subframe

Unknown
edited November -1 in Street Rods
i am in the process of installing my homebuilt subframe and would like to post some pics of it ,even tho the pics aren't great . so if there is an intrest and someone knows how to post pics i can email them to you .

mike

Comments

• rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    I'm heading out for a drive right now - but if you email the pictures I can post them later today.

dan@ypfs.com
  • rambos_ride
    subframe4.jpg
    brokeframe.jpg
    brokeframe1.jpg
  • rambos_ride
    subframe5.jpg
    subframe6.jpg
  • thank you Dan for posting these for me.

mike
  • mrsbojigger
    mrsbojigger Senior Contributor
    Hey Mike,
    Nice job!
    Chaz
  • i might explain some of the pics ... the car was poorly repaired after a wreck and the driver's side front mount was actually tore from the car . the 2 pictures of that show my fish plated repairs .

mike
  • rambos_ride
    unique1963 wrote:
    thank you Dan for posting these for me.
    mike

You're Welcome!

What are you using for a cradle for the front suspension?
  • rambos_ride wrote:
    You're Welcome!

What are you using for a cradle for the front suspension?

this is a mustang ii crossmember widened 4 inches . hope this is what you are asking
  • rambos_ride
    unique1963 wrote:
    this is a mustang ii crossmember widened 4 inches . hope this is what you are asking

Yep - I noticed the center section of the cradle was modified.

I remember those days of welding and grinding in the driveway (mine was gravel ~ I don't miss it at all!)

I had gotten to the point at the old house the city told me I couldn't work on it anymore - how do your neighbors like it when you work on the car outside?
  • i like it looks pretty good, should sit nice and low.
  • i have one neighbor that isn't too happy about it as he is a day sleeper , but i think for the most he doesn't mind too much as i try to spread out the noise to short bursts ...

if all my figures are correct this thing if useing stock mustang spindles will be same as stock . but i have 2 inch lowered spindles for this so should set a little lower .with the sudden kick up as opposed to the gradual kick on the original it comes out to the same .

mike
  • Mike, do you do anything on the rear frame? What type of suspension are you planning to use? NIce work!

Jay
  • jsrail wrote: »
    Mike, do you do anything on the rear frame? What type of suspension are you planning to use? NIce work!

thanks .

on the front i have 5/8 narrowed tubular strutless control arms for the mustang ii suspension with a power rack from a 88 t-bird and outer ball joints from the same . this covers the widened crossmember perfectly . i have 425 pound springs for the front (hope not too stiff)

i haven't gotten to the rear frame as of yet . this car has very little rust in the frame area i know that for sure . what i will do to the rear is still up in the air . i plan on keeping the 254 8 but will go with a 700r4 so i may end up just using lowering blocks to get the stance i want .

if i have to replace the rear rails i will put a maverick rear in it and most likely a triangulated 4 link with coil overs .

mike
  • Mike, I;ve been considering the triangulated 4 link as well. But I want to bag mine, so I believe I'm going to have to use a notched rear frame set-up. I want it to be able to sit low and cruise the parking lots, but I hear that lowering blocks tend to make you bottom out with anybody in the back seat. I was thinking about building new notched frame rails inside of where the existing ones are, then cutting the old ones out, or just cutting out the notch in the olds one, don't know yet. I've heard of some guys using Lincoln MKIII IFS set-ups also, but I haven't look into that yet.

Jay
  • jsrail wrote:
    Mike, I;ve been considering the triangulated 4 link as well. But I want to bag mine, so I believe I'm going to have to use a notched rear frame set-up. I want it to be able to sit low and cruise the parking lots, but I hear that lowering blocks tend to make you bottom out with anybody in the back seat. I was thinking about building new notched frame rails inside of where the existing ones are, then cutting the old ones out, or just cutting out the notch in the olds one, don't know yet. I've heard of some guys using Lincoln MKIII IFS set-ups also, but I haven't look into that yet.

Jay

install a short coil under the frame with a small gap from the rear end .. would cushion the bottoming effect
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    Mike;

Doing a very nice Job considering your working conditions. I can relate to working outside and it can be done.... Keep the enthusiasm and good luck with your project
  • thank you ,

i have several projects going right now and hope to get my 29 ford model a pickup painted this summer . all depends when i can use my friend's garage as he has his projects going in there right now . then this one will go into paint if its ready by then

mike
This discussion has been closed.