problem with stepdown hood latch releasing

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I went outside the other day to get my hood up on a 52 Hornet parts car. It has been sitting outside in the weather for about a year. When pulling on the inside hood release lever, it only moves about 1/2 inch and does not release the hood. Does anybody have an idea about how to get the hood up

Comments

• shadetree
    shadetree Senior Contributor
    look at underside of latching plate or feel by reaching thru grille on right side facing car, insert flat blade pocket screw driver at backside of hood stud protruding thru latching plate into small slot you can find by probing, when locating , pry by pushing handle of screw driver to the right, this should move release lever by doing the same as pulling hood release. this should work for you.
  • THIS MESSAGE FOR ALL STEPDOWN OWNERS, TAKE A THREE FOOT SECTION OF TIE WIRE AND RUN THRU SAME HOLE AS RELEASE CABLE, MAKE AN 18 INCH LOOP THAT HANGS ON DRIVERS SIDE, UNDER GRILL i SLIP ON A 6 OR 7 INCH PIECE OF FUEL LINE OR VACUUM HOSE TO MAKE A GRIP AT THE CURVE. YOU CAN REACH IN AND RELEASE HOOD WITHOUT OPENING CAR DOOR.. YOU WILL USE THIS MORE THAN THE STOCK CABLE AFTER GETTING USED TO IT BILL ALBRIGHT
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    Have someone push down firmly on the center of the hood while you pull on the release handle.
  • The screwdrive trick works, takes several attempts sometimes. I had to do it on my 50 Pacemaker, the cable was broken. I had to take off a few parts at the bottom of the grille to get to where I could get my hand up.
This discussion has been closed.