Replacing Pinion Seal on 38 Terraplane

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
What advice can anyone give me regarding replacement of the pinion seal. I have no experience doing something like this. Should I try it or let a professional do it - if I can find one? I looked in the Mechanical Procedures Manual, Section 13, Pages 4-7, and it looks like the seal can be removed after the pinion companion flange is removed. Is it really that simple? Are there any special steps, tricks, tools that I might need? Anything I should not do? Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

Paul Caldwell

Virginia Beach, VA

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Yes, I think it's really that simple! Once the companion flange is removed you just need to get something between the pinion shaft and the inside of the pinion seal, to snag the seal with, then to pull it off. (My first thought is to try bending a coathanger into an L shape, but you can probably be more creative.) The new seal would just be driven in. No particular force is needed.
  • hudsonguy
    hudsonguy Senior Contributor
    Paul,

I recently did this, and simply used an old screwdriver and drove it into the front metal face of the seal, being extremely careful not to touch any of the adjacent surfaces of the differential/shaft, etc. Drive it in at an angle, and it will punch a nice hole in this old seal (that you're throwing away, anyway) and it will give you a place to pry it out from. Again, be extremely carefull not to damage any adjacent steel surfaces, and you shouldn't have any problems.

Good Luck,

Doug
This discussion has been closed.