Drivemaster Removal Questions

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Any suggestions about removing the Drivemaster (or whatever it was called) from a 1940 DeLuxe 6? What parts should be left on, and does the removal hurt the car's value? Thanks.

Comments

• That's a question best addressed to George Schmidt, the Club's expert on Drive-Master, Vacumotive and Supermatic. His address is listed on the tech. advisors section of the WTN. You might also check with the Club Store to see if they have a manual covering Drive-Master (this would help you better understand the system). Whatever you do, save all the parts as a future owner of your car may want them, or you can sell them to a fellow Hudson owner.
  • Hudson used drive-master from 1942 thru 1947. In 1939-1940 they had something called a "handy shift. I have the maintenance sheets for this, but it refers more to adjustment, than removal, tho it does give some info on removing the gearshift lever and steering column for 1941-1942 models.

Hudsonly,
    Alex B
  • The HET club store has available a manual on the opration and adjustment of the Drive Master transmission. It is a very complex system, but if you could restore yours to operational condition you would have a very rare and interesting car in my opinion. It is true that DriveMaster and its sibling, SuperMatic were electromechanical monsters. But interesting. smirk.giftongue.gif
  • Hi- Thanks for the reply...I still do not know what to do, remove the vacuum shifter or leave it in. Right now I am putting in a new clutch, and have heard that the clutch linkage with handy shift is different from that of a car without it. I'm concerned that the clutch will not operate correctly with it, but am leaning towards taking a chance with it just to get the car on the road. Is there any chance I could get xeroxes of your literature? Thanks, Paul.
  • Just an aside, here: I believe the Handi-Shift was merely Hudson's trade name for their column shift which came out in 1939. I believe employed a cable and a rod for the linkages (not two rods as in later models). So when one uses the term 'Handi-Shift' one is referring not to some special shifting device, but simply a standard Hudson column shift.
  • EssexAdv
    EssexAdv Expert Adviser, Member
    As far as leaving the drive master on. THe car is more valuable with accessories than without. I would not take the unit off. I would eiother leave it on unfunctional or have it repaired. When they are working they are real interesting. I have the vaccume clutch protion on my 439. I love it. IT works great and even that lesser model lunit is fun to show off.
This discussion has been closed.