Diesel Power!

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in Street Rods
Here's a link on a Cummins in a street rod:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVlov_t4fjg

Unique for sure, though I think a bit too much noise for my taste. Wasn't someone talking about diesel powering a Hudson around here? Might be a cool set up for a pickup with exhaust running out the back tough.

Jay

Comments

• yeah!! that was me that was saying it would be cool.
  • THEGREENHORNET wrote:
    yeah!! that was me that was saying it would be cool.

I think it would make a great set up for a 46-47 Hud p/u. It doesn't look like it would be too big to fit, but I don't know for sure.
  • Jay, I enjoyed the diesel. I have seen a lot of rat rods at the car shows this year. They draw a tremendous lot of attention. I don't want one, but do enjoy looking at them.

Barry
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    I don't know - who'd want the noise and it looked like it couldn't even turn the tires over or pull the front wheels off the ground - ie "get out of its own way"

Still different but - I'd want more - like twin turbos, better gear ratios and an insulated cabin none of which anyone would put on a rat.

I'll stick with my original "Rat" my BBC 454 :D
  • that thing doesnt know if it wants to be a street rod or a rat rod....having said that this whole label thing ****s me to death. (too many kids call my pacemaker a "rat rod"- i could go on for days) how about we have two categories - "SWEET" and "$HIT"

im not a fan of that diesel thing, imagine the tears in your eyes after 20 minutes of suckin back the mess that thing would make. yuck
  • Dan, obviously you've not seen one-ton and 3/4-ton Dodge Cummins Diesels at the dragstrip that routinely run low 11's with propane injection, and are perfectly driveable on the street!

And yes, that rod DOES have a turbo.

Nothing like a Diesel. Once you have driven one or pulled a serious load down the road with one, gas trucks just plain suck. Nice play toys are all a gas truck is worth.
  • rambos_ride
    66patrick66 wrote:
    Dan, obviously you've not seen one-ton and 3/4-ton Dodge Cummins Diesels at the dragstrip that routinely run low 11's with propane injection, and are perfectly driveable on the street!

And yes, that rod DOES have a turbo.

Nothing like a Diesel. Once you have driven one or pulled a serious load down the road with one, gas trucks just plain suck. Nice play toys are all a gas truck is worth.

I know the new diesels have plenty of power - trucks also run much lower gearing than most do in cars...my comments were about the video where it seemed the rat-rod didn't have any [EMAIL="p@@p"]p@@p[/EMAIL] at all out of the hole~ :o which is weird given how light that car should be - my guess is there are some kinda moon-gears in it to get mileage-up and no low end performance.

And you're right towing with a gas rig isn't even close to the experience you get with a diesel.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited November 2013
    I initially thought the same thing... But figured that they were probably videotaping the 'first trip' for that rod (under it's own power) - If that was/is the case (and I was driving), I would probably be a bit light on the gas (diesel) pedal too...

They may also have been somewhat worried about the neighbors. My neighbors around me know not to be reving up cars, atvs, or motorcycles around my house in the afternoon. That's when my son takes a nap. Any other time (except bed time) is cool with me.

Jay
  • 66patrick66 wrote:

Very cool!!!!!
  • my first thought when I was looking at my 51 hornet was a power stroke 7.3 diesel. Low revs.. just like old rods. massive curb appeal with a nicely detailed V-8 diesel.. and uniqueness. Lots of dynomat and a good exhaust would be great.
  • rambos_ride
    After driving a diesel pickup for the last 3 months - I'm sold on the power and torque for certain applications - but DARN THE PRICE...4.49 gal here today :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

A gasoline motor is more responsive-quicker, but the TD in my truck just keeps pulling and pulling and pulling...at any speed.

A Hudson pickup is a prime candidate for a hot-rod diesel IMHO. With the unique and classic lines of the Hudson pickup a - nasty, loud, smoke blowing diesel would be a great alternative power plant - or a quite duramax diesel if you don't like the noise.
  • I think the ultimate diesel for a hudson is now the Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel with the 6 speed automatic that Dodge now offers in it's trucks. Keep it 6 cylinder. It screams in my brothers quad cab, and with probably at least 2000++ lbs less it would have to be an unbelievable ride. Better get a Dana 60 with it.
  • A few years back there was a step down Hudson for sale on E Bay that was Cummins powered , the early Dodge PU Cummins were only 145 HP or so and were pretty quite. I think the car was a 4 dr. and looked all stock . a pretty neat car.
  • Chrysler is making available a CRATE Jeep Diesel that is used in the Liberty that would make an incredible rod engine! It's about half the weight of the Cummins, has six cylinders, and is not terribly expensive. Your local Mopar dealer can price ione to you. I have not done this yet...!
  • Man, that was weird, I responded to this thread and it went to the discussions thread on article 5.

Anyway, what I was saying is I suggested this about 6 months ago and was told the Hudson couldn't support the Cummins. I think the front end could be beefed up to carry the load but maybe I'm wrong. That Liberty crate engine would probably be a better bet. Or I could just modify the truck body to fit on the Dodge frame.

Harry
  • This tale is itself quite a few years old, but a guy in a local muffler shop (Charleston, SC) told me he had seen a Hudson in the ~1970's with a Mercedes diesel in it.
  • MikeWA
    MikeWA Senior Contributor
    And on that note, I have a '68 Mercedes diesel, and the engine can be had for free, with the automatic transmission. From the way the engine propelled that Mercedes, don't assume it would be "life in the slow lane" if it were in a Hudson. No, it would be "life in the bike path."
  • Sarah Young
    Sarah Young Senior Contributor
    Mike (WA) wrote:
    And on that note, I have a '68 Mercedes diesel, and the engine can be had for free, with the automatic transmission. From the way the engine propelled that Mercedes, don't assume it would be "life in the slow lane" if it were in a Hudson. No, it would be "life in the bike path."

Does that come with free installation? ;) Let me know when I can drop off my spare Jet for you to get her running again.
  • MikeWA
    MikeWA Senior Contributor
    Free installation? Of course! You're free to install it any way you'd like! Actually, it's still in the car, and for educational purposes, I'll also let you take it out yourself, just so you can see how it all goes together, you understand. ;>)
  • the dodges mostly run 3.5gears behind the cummins the non overdrive trucks (89-90) ran 3.2 gears and they are plenty fast my 430,000 mile 97 can out accelerate any gas powered truck in a 5th gear roll on
    the only truck that beat me was a new hemi ram and he had to gear down after i beat him bad the first time--there are a couple of long hills on the interstate near my home and i have even done in sports cars on an uphill pull--a notable new mercedes suv tried to pass me and as he drew close i saw his wife screaming at him too---must have galled the guy his $50K sports suv couldnt pass my dingy dodge
    bob
  • I embassed the crap out of a Mustang 5.0 driver with my '96 Cummins Dodge 4x2 5-speed truck going down the Interstate last week - not a soul out but me and him, I accelerated up the on-ramp and pulled up next to him on the road and breezed right by him! He tried to catch up, but it took two miles for him to do that! He left the highway at the next exit, ashamed of his car's lackluster performance!
  • guys check out the BANKS turbocharger web pages for information on the cummins powered dakota pickup they ran at bonneville----the truck pulled its own equipment trailer to the salt flats---then they set it up with air dams /tires and such and ran it over 200mph----i bet it had 2.5 gears in the rear too----the sweet spot for power on the motor is 2000 rpm and my 97 redlines at 3000 rpm--the newer trucks show a 3500 redline---as far as i know the Banks team hasnt divulged the transmission used or the rear differential type or ratio but that is how racers are----if i ran a cummins in a car i would run the 3.2 rear with an auto overdrive
    bob
  • segajeep
    segajeep Senior Contributor
    A 6bt Cummins is a few hundred pounds heavier than a 262, and there is also the 4bt...

Sorry about dredging this thread up...
This discussion has been closed.