Part numbers Vs Casting numbers

SuperDave
SuperDave Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Since I am an Ebay junkie, I have run across a lot of parts for Hudsons that list only the number that appears on the part. Normally it's easy to look at a picture and know for sure, but in some cases there are dimensional differences that don't show in a picture. Case in point, a center steering arm assy. The casting number is not the part number and as far as I can tell, there were three different part numbers for step downs allone. Is there a cross reference anywhere? It sure would simplify things..

Dave W. :confused:

Comments

• SuperDave
    Never let it be said that I ask easy questions..LOL I measured the aproximate distance between the ball and center pin on my non power steering 54 Hornet center steering arm. It appears to be about 9 inches center to center. I exchanged data with the seller of the NOS steering arm and his measures about 8 3/8 inches. He has it listed as a 48-54 but is only guessing since he doesn't have the stock number, just a casting number. The question begs to be answered.. what are the differences in length of the center steering arm between short wheel base cars, long wheelbase cars and the Power steering cars? Does any one have enough access to an original PS car or a Wasp or Pacemaker to get a measurement? I know it's no fun measuring that darned arm. The shorter the center arm is, the quicker the steering and the greater the effort. Theoreticly, the Power steering car could get away with a much shorter arm due to the boost that is available. As far as centering the steering wheel with mismatched parts is much easier with the Power steering adjustable drag link. Unlike the standard drag link that requires shim switching. Every one confused by now? Grinnn. Dave W.
  • dwardo99
    dwardo99 Expert Adviser
    I can measure my 54 Super Wasp, but it's not power steering. Would that help?
  • SuperDave
    Yes please! and while you are at it, see if you can determine the casting number cast into the arm. It should be on the arm that connects the two tie rods. Could be on top or bottom. I used a piece of paper to get a tracing (from the crud and grease)of my 49.since the number was on top it was on top. The 54 was on the bottom side.

Again, thanks Dave W
  • dwardo99
    dwardo99 Expert Adviser
    OK, I'll try to do it this weekend.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Speaking generally, over all models, sometimes the casting number will match the parts books, but others will frustratingly be slightly different. There will often be a suffix attached, usually a "-1" or similar. Or the casting number will be one or two different from the number in the parts book. Whether this is to do with the fact that Hudson used at least three different foundries or not I don't know, but it sure makes life interesting.

Geoff.
  • dwardo99
    dwardo99 Expert Adviser
    OK, I found a complete center pivot assembly from a '53 Hornet and it measures approx. 9 3/16". I don't see any casting number on it. The one in my '54 Wasp has the number 303038 and, while it is difficult to measure with it installed, appears to be the same length or maybe a little shorter.
  • SuperDave
    Thank you for the effort. The casting number is one digit off from the part number for the same part. The 48-54 Book says 30309 is a LHD short wheelbase car through 54. It is shorter than my 54 Hornet which is about 9 inches and casting number 310044 and part number 310043. Again..one digit off. Jim Cropper told me on the phone that he saw a factory bulletin that stated that all replacements arms should use 310043. He has done a lot of research on the power steering on step downs. He also told me I need pitman arm stops as well as a different pitman arm. I need a pitman arm number 310161 and he says it is oposite of all the others. The ball points outward, not toward the engine as in all the other pitman arms. Anyone have one laying around? I can probably fabricat stops. He says internal damage can be done to the cylinder if the travel isn't limited by pitman arm stops. I hope to see his set up the 16th of April at Dick Hitts meet in Lake Worth Fl. So I am looking for more parts!

Thanks, Dave W. Fl.
  • dwardo99
    dwardo99 Expert Adviser
    Are you trying to get together a power steering setup? I think the SWB cars are completely different than the LWB cars. I have a 1954 factory parts manual and I could get you the part numbers if that is what you are trying to do. Good luck! I've given up on it and am puzzling over a different way of getting PS.
This discussion has been closed.