Heavy Hudson

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
There's a very heavy Hudson running out there. It's the 325 ton Canadian Pacific's No. 2816 H1b Hudson type (4-6-4 steam engine wheel arrangement is called a Hudson) locomotive as depicted in the accompaning photo when it was last in the Chicago area in June of 2004. I am employed as a locomotive engineer at the CP's Bensenville, IL yard (former Milwaukee Road) and took the opportunity back in 2004 to photograph my '50 Pacemaker in front of the 2816 while it was being serviced at the former diesel shop on the west side of Bensenville Yard (there were a fair amount of "rail fans" taking pictures of the engine with tender and they were amazed and pleased when I positioned my Hudson in front of 2816 whereby they were able to get a shot of a "Hudson in front of a Hudson").

CP Hudson 2816 was built by the Montreal Locomotive Works in December, 1930. It last saw service on the Canadian Pacific in May of 1960.

Here's a "heads up". 2816 will be returning to the states and in particular the Chicago area around this upcoming Labor Day weekend in September for three fan excursions, I believe, between Chicago and Milwaukee. Perhaps someone out there who has a 1930 Hudson can get a shot of their 1930 Hudson in front of this 1930 Hudson come September.

Dan
This discussion has been closed.