1949 Hudson Rear End Replacement

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Does anyone have experience replacing the Hudson rear end? This is being done in conjunction with a engine/transmission replacement (GM 350/TH700R4) and it is thought that a Ford 9" rear end could handle the torgue and additional horsepower better that the original. Also, will the stock leaf spring/shock/Panhard setup be compatable with the Ford unit...thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• There is a discussion on page 8 of this Forum "rear end" that may answer some of your questions
  • Make that "rear axle swap" on page 8
  • Although that is great information (rear axle swap...pg.8) what i'm concerned with is actually the rear suspension and if it will take the added horsepower and torque of the 350 V-8. Some say that the Panhard Bar (what folks here are calling a sway bar) will torque and cause the suspension to bind under heavy acceleration. Some say it won't...I just value the opinions of you folks here in this forum and am seeking advise/experience on the suspension not just the wisdom of swaping the rear end.
  • I had Currie Enterprises in Ca. cut me a "NEW" Ford 9in,posi-trak,3.28 ratio with disc brakes. I sent the old rear to them,so I would be sure the new rear would fit and have the wheels clear the framerail, and fenderskirts. They cut-off the panhard bracket, and the spring perches from the original, and welded to the new one.I gave the original rear to a club member in Ca. so maybe it would help another Hudson get back on the road! I too gutted the drivetrain, and installed a Chevy 383 stroker motor w/tunnelram and two 450 Holleys, and backed that with an all out, raceready 700R-4. I also re-did the carrier bearing supports like on Ken Cates restoration page. To do all of this, I only had to make 1 major change to the car. I had to cut, and drop the crossmember 2&1/2 in. I have plenty of pictures showing the entire process.If you, or anyone else woild like to see them, e-mail me @ wkitchen@midsouth.rr.com A Ford Grenada rear will work, but the "T" bolts are a discontinued part. A rear from a 60's Ford Galaxy, that came with a 390 will work,but I didn't see much good in getting a 40yr. old rear, and have to freshen it up, along with converting it to disc. I want "modern", "over-the-counter" parts, so if I break-down, the parts will be easy to replace.
  • I have a 1956 DeSoto 341 hemi in my hudson backed up with a 700R4. The torque of the engine can overcome the rear springs and make the driveshaft rub the floorboard. I would think that stiffening up the font part of the springs wuold help me out a lot. Maybe others who have converted could chime in.
  • sounds like traction bars would stop those springs from wrapping. lurk
This discussion has been closed.