Barrett-Jackson Florida 49 Hudson

rambos_ride
rambos_ride Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
FYI A highly customized 49 Commodore just sold at auction for 81k

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/events/florida/vehicles/cardetail_list.asp?id=180555

370 1949 HUDSON COMMODORE CUSTOM 4 DOOR HARDTOP $81,000.00

I think I saw this online posted for sale at 98k - can't find the old link though

Makes you wonder what these car might be getting worth...

Comments

• rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    I've done a few custom cars but nothing to the extent of this particular 49 - I know a lot of work went into the body mods etc.

But given the uniqueness of Hudson's - I'm inclined to say it takes a 100x more work and money to keep something stock or close to stock than it does to customize to this extent.

What I am wondering is - what is the most $$ anyone has seen a relatively stock stepdown in 1-3 condition - compared to this customized 49 that sold for 81k?
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    I doubt that a completey stock retoration or mint original would compare to a custom ..price wise. It's a matter of supply and demand. There are a lot of people with money that would buy a custom as long as it's well done, regardless of Make.. On the other hand, how many people are interested in a completely stock Hudson? Only a small number compared to the Custom car folks. If you are selling a cream puff Hudson, that's a bad thing. If you are buying, it's a good thing.The amount of money and effort spent doesn't seem to matter in the auction arena. It's just "What the buying public" wants.

A good way to make a small fortune in the antique Hudson hobby, is to start with a large one!

My Motto? Live in the past..it's cheaper, Dave w Fl
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Well, actually, two 'stock' Hudsons beat the $81,000 price in auctions last year -- both Step-Down convertibles. But this is indeed an all-time high for a standard 2- or 4-door closed Hudson hotrod or custom. Up to now, the highest ever bid (in a Barrett-Jackson auction, at least) for a modified Hudson was $43,200, in a 2001 auction.

See http://www.barrett-jackson.com/auctionresults/common/collector.asp for further results.
  • TOM-WA-
    TOM-WA- Senior Contributor
    JON: Once again it just goes to show that most people who attend these Auctions have more "MONEY" than common sense
  • dave s
    dave s Senior Contributor, Moderator
    Isn't this the custom that was at Orlando National? I talked with owner and he told me he had almost 150,000. invested in it.
  • $150,000 would not surprise me. Just an a top of the line 700 horse Chevy crate engine costs close to $13,000 before tax. Even the lower horse engines are still $5,000, then start adding the engine dress ups, etc.

The cost of good fabrication and bodywork on a custom alone is staggering.

As mentioned earlier, it's all supply and demand. I watched the auction re-run last night and saw a beautiful 1954 Buick Skylark Convertible go for $160,000. Two poor fools were in a bidding slug fest. WAY, way too much money.

With that said- My stock, original 1948 Commodore gets more nice comments and starts more conversations than any custom. People appreciate what it must take for a car to survive for so many years and what it takes to KEEP it looking that way. I'm nervous about attending my first meet in Reno... I know I will want every car I see. Niels
  • I saw this car at the oakland roadster show a long time back, when it was being held in san francisco, but not at the cow palace. Very clean car, and with all the work done to it, they did an excellent job preserving all of the factory lines. The windshield wipers are under the visor and swing down.
This discussion has been closed.