Essex super6 1928 motor oil

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Hello,

What type of motor oil can be used in these engines?

Thanks

Comments

• hudsonsplasher1
    hudsonsplasher1 Senior Contributor
    I have used 10w30 in my 28 for years, and it seems to work just fine. Because there is no oil filter and no PCV (positive crankcase ventelation) the oil tends to get dirty quite fast, so I change it about every 500 miles.

Geoff has a 28 with many miles on it, maybe he will step in with some advice.
  • EssexAdv
    EssexAdv Expert Adviser, Member
    There are as many opinions on this issue as there are people asking the question. Here is a synopsis:

If the motor has not been completely cleaned continue to use non-detergent oil.

Do not use heavy (50) weight oil as the bearings will not like it

Change it frequently, sporadic use tends to gum it up

Now for my opinion;

I prefer to use modern multi-viscosity oil. It makes starting in cool weather a bit easier and tends to flow well. The criticism about foaming with a splashes system is not true. Modern oils have superior anti foam ingredients as modern motors don’t like foam either.

There is one problem with so called ‘detergent’ oils. This oil was designed for motors with full flow filters. It does not so much clean the sludge as it suspends it to be removed by the filter. Non-detergent oil will allow the particles to settle out of the oil while the oil is resting in the pan. If you notice on an older car, cleaning the pan to remove this sludge is a normal practice. For what it is worth, I actually drive my cars to meets. My Essex is not a trailer queen. The compromise I make to use modern oils is an increased change interval. I change the oil before every long trip…in excess of 400 miles … and at the beginning and end of the season. I’ve been doing this for 25+ years and have never had a bearing failure on a known quantity motor.

This is how I do it. I am not telling anyone that their theory is incorrect. I’m just adding my opinion so that the conversation can begin. Hopefully this fuel a few comment so that you can pick what you feel is the correct response.

Good luck!
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    I agree with Lewis on the suitability of multi-grade oils. The last thing a vintage engine needs is vintage oil. I have run my Essex for nearly 50 years, and have used multig-grade oils since they became available. Unlike Lew, I don't bother changing the oil that regularly. I wait until it has dropped below the half-way mark and then change, which is usually around 1,500 miles. The oil stays relatively clean, and has done since I rebuilt the engine 21 years ago. I use Castrol GTX which is a 20W-50 oil, but in a cold climate it would probably be best to go to a 15W-40 grade. I use my Essex constantly as an everyday car, and the engine has done around 80,000 miles since it's last rebuild. As Lew says, you will get many differing opinions on detergent oil use, but I am giving you my experience. I have also used detergent oil in high mileage dirty engines, and unlike the popular myth of great globs of gunge being dislodged to cause extreme blockages, the detergents tend to gently remove the accumulated sludge and suspend it in the oil, which if changed regularly will eventually leave the internals clean and unclogged. If your car has a high mileage it would certainly pay to drop the sump, clean it out along with the crankcase, re-fill the trays with fresh oil, and re-install. This would not take more than a few hours. Good luck,

Geoff.
  • Thanks very much for the info.
This discussion has been closed.