Stepdown steering and suspension thread....

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Seems we got a lot of recent threads on stepdowns with steering and suspension related questions.

How about we use this thread to post what you know, what you can advise on the matter. I'm in the (slow) process of doing this on mine, and I think that others could benefit from what I have been told, or found out.

Center Link Pin

roller bearingsX2 usually need replaced, part should be available from any good bearing shop, napa, autozone, or a tractor supply. cost around 6-8 each.

pin is available from the Maas' (see SamJ's list of suppliers,) 21st century hudson or something, (I will correct, with a link)

The center pin worn, usually gives the sign of excessive steering wheel play, where you can move it back and forth without moving the wheels, a bit....

Kingpins

these are hard to find. I got two sets, walking around swap meets, and best I can tell you, is watch eBay, check with Dave K, Bill A, Dale Cooper, etc... they turn up, and usually run anywhere from $40 to $180 (for the eBay lover...)

these are bad when you get motion on the wheel, when you grab it at 12 and 6 O'clock, and the wheel moves back and forth.

Tie Rods

these turn up frequently on eBay, sell for $20-75 a set, others probably have them, you can uy the ford truck equivalent form autozone, for aorund $60 for the pair, or even order the original style from the zone for $57 each.

I think these are bad when you get motion at the wheel when you grab at 3 and 9 o'clock. also, getting under there and inspectiong them, looseness will be a telltale sign. to redo the front end you need two left and two right sides.

I think part numbers for the original are 147L and 147R

Stabilizer Links

These are available as later model equivalents from autozone. Let me double check, but I think I was told that early 70's chevy Monte Carlo work. these are again, autozone, and less than or around $20

more to come!
This discussion has been closed.