Essex super6 1928 engine timing

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Hello,

I need help how to check the timing without removing the valve cover.Are there any marks on the cam gear or the crankshaft gear?

I also would like to know which one is No1 piston. Is it the one near the radiator or the flywheel?

Also is the firing order 1-5-3-6-2-4?

The reason I am asking is because i accidentally move the distributor shaft while removing the coupling from the small gear of the chain.

Thanks for your replies.

Frixos.

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    There is a T.D.C. 1-6 mark on the flywheel, which is visible through the oblong hole in the rear engine plate (valve cover side). When the mark is level with the bottom of the opening the engine is on t.d.c. Mark it with white paint or correcting fluid. No.1 piston is at the front of the motor. Take that plug out, and wind the engine over with your finger over the hole, until you feel the compression stroke, then watch for the flywheel mark. when it is at t.d.c., set the distributor with the points just opening with the rotor pointing to plug terminal 1. Hold the rotor anti-clockwise while you are doing this to take up any slack in the gears. This will give you the basic timing, and you will have to refine it with the engine running. Ideally, set with a timing light so that at idle the the firing point is two flywheel teeth ahead of t.d.c. If you don't have timing light, advance the ignition slowly until the engine starts to "fluff" out the exhaust, and then retard until it runs smoothly. The original handbook says to advance until engine knocks at 10 m.p.h. with full throttle, but this is extremely crude, and doesn't work with modern fuel. Good luck,

Geoff.
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Also: Yes.. the fireing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4 and #1 is up front.

Got a heck of a deal on a Falcon van one time that had two wires reversed! Ran, But was weak. I "fixed it before I drove off the lot on all six with the sellers mouth hanging open. His machanic said it needed a valve job..

I think all inline 6's are the same.. Any exceptions anyone can think of?
This discussion has been closed.