1928 Essex

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I want to know if the ring gear can be removed and turned over, then replaced? The teeth are worn on one side and there isn't enough surface to catch the starter gears.

Comments

• Does anyone know where I can locate upholstery material that would match or come close to the current fabric on the seats? The color is a dark blue with tan flecks. I need to recover the seats only, as the seatbacks are in good condition.
  • tigermoth
    tigermoth Expert Adviser
    hello, have you thought about rotating it on the flywheel? or has that already been done a couple of times so all the teeth are worn? tom
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Vintage Auto Parts has a NOS ring gear for 1924-26; this may also fit your '28. Check the following webpage: http://www.vapinc.com/
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    It's an easy job to arc weld a repair on the worn teeth and re-grind the chamfer with a small disc grinder. Can be done without removing the flywheel. You can't turn the ring gear around as it would reverse the chamfer, and the starter would continually jam. The problem is the flywheel teeth get flattened off at the rear and the pinion can't engage. As a temporary measure you can re-grind the chamfer on the worn teeth and pack the starter out with washers, but it's probably best to do the repair properly. Ring gears are identical for all Essex 6 '24 -'29 inclusive.

Geoff
  • Jon B]Vintage Auto Parts has a NOS ring gear for 1924-26 wrote:

Thank you for the website for Vintage Auto parts. I have found the price of a new ring gear and have decided that would be the best route to take.
This discussion has been closed.