'49 Rear Window Installation

hudsonguy
hudsonguy Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I'm looking for any pointers I can get with regards to re-installing my back window in my '49 Sedan. I've been struggling with it for a while now. I recently installed a new headliner, and wanted to install a new gasket on this window, since it leaked quite a bit. So far, I've tried at least three times, unsuccessfully. Of course, I'm doing this without a body manual (I ordered one a while ago from the HET store, but haven't seen it yet). This is the procedure I've been using;

I've completely cleaned and painted the window channel on the car. I've got a bead of 3M Body Sealer (strips of black 'caulk') in the bottom corner of this channel.

I've installed a new gasket to the window, and super-glued the ends to each other. I installed the stainless trim to this assembly. I then duct-taped all of the trim to the rubber/glass to hold it in position. I placed a strong cord in the gasket channel, with loops on the top and bottom centers, and taped these ends to the inside of the glass.

I used a soap and water solution to lubricate the edge that's inserted, and placed the window assembly on top of the channel from the outside, centrally positioned.

Then I used a long soft nylon ratcheting tie-down from rear wheel hub to rear wheel hub to stretch across the glass (over an old inner tube) and apply an even pressure to it. I try to 'tuck' in as much as I can from the outside, then I try to pull the cords from the inside to get the inner lip over the metal edges. I do this back and forth a few times. I'm basically trying to install the bottom 'corners' of the window first, as these would seem to be the toughest to get in if you did them last.

This all goes great until the window is about halfway installed, then the cord starts to tear my inner rubber flange, the duct tape starts to let go from the effect of the soap and water solution, which allows the trim to let go. The glass starts squirting up and out of the channel like a wet bar of soap, and I'm left taking it out and apart again, and calmly leaving the garage to try and regain my composure. Definitely the most frustrating part of my restoration so far.

I can imagine if the gasket is cut too 'long', it will be that much harder to install in the opening, because this 'peg' will be too big for it's 'hole'.

Maybe I should try to install only one of the lower corners first, and then work my way around. Or....maybe I should install the top two corners first....sure wish that body manual would get here.

I greatly appreciate any little pointers/tips/suggestions anyone might have that could help me out on this one.

Hudsonly,

Doug

Comments

• rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Glass fitting can be a pain!

20 years ago I put a 1000.00 window (our cost) in a 1960 Phantom V Rolls Royce. There was only 1 windshield in the US so there was no room for error.

Needless to say the window and gasket were creating similar problems. It ended up taking 2 of us nearly 6 hours to "gently persuade" the glass in.

You didn't say what type and size the cord is you are using? I've found at times in the past that smaller diameter cloth type clothes line works well. By using a smaller diameter cord you can wrap the window 2 times. The first pull should get the edge of the seal around the body lip - the second pull should settle the glass most of the way.

You said you were using a racheting tie down to try and apply downward pressure. Prefereably find someone that can come and help you so that as you are pulling the cord around it helps to take the palm or your hand (or better yet a helper) and help lightly slap (kinda like spanking!) the glass down as you move around pulling the cord through.

Don't use soap and water - use soap only, it will lubricate better and not get so messy - or if you can vaseline (if you can keep it off the interior pieces)

Soak or coat the cord itself liberaaly before or during wrapping it around the window. Then make sure you put a lot on the edge of the rubber you are trying to pull.

My only other advice would be to take the car to a glass shop and have them install it for you! FYI - I rarely install my own glass anymore because when I have the glass shop do it they guarantee it not to leak!

Good Luck - Be Patient!

Oh yeah - the 3m strip caulking is not meant for sealing windows - it may even keep the glass from settling into the channel - I'd take it out.
  • hudsonguy
    hudsonguy Senior Contributor
    Rambo,

Thanks for the help. I'm using a small cord about 1/8" dia. that seems very strong and smooth. It's probably meant for a clothes line type application.

The reason I'm using the 3m strip caulk is because I bought an old 'curved glass installation guide' that specified that material in that channel. What should I use in place of it? I imagine it would have to be non-hardening, especially if it takes 6 hours to install. I guess I'll have to recruit someone to give me a hand.

Thanks again,

Doug
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    There are several window sealers that can be applied with a caulking gun that don't harden up. There are even sealers that are more fluid and take a small tube to insert under the rubber lip - I can't recall the exact part numbers but any glass shop or autobody jobber should be able to fix you up. In fact with a rubber seal you only want to use sealer that stays pliable and doesn't harden like a urethane sealer would.

The 1/8" cord should be good to wrap the window 2 times as mentioned in my first reply - is the line cloth or plastic coated ? I always used a cloth or cotton type cord as it would soak up with lubrication and be more pliable and less likely to tear at the rubber.

You didn't mention - is it an original window? My 49 Commodore rear glass has a compound curve to it - if I were trying to replace it with flat glass It might behave the same as problems you are experiencing.
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    I have never done the Hudson rear glass so maybe I shouldn't comment, but here goes. Is it possible to install the rubber on the glass, then pull the rubber into the body from the inside out ? I have done this on hundreds of van windows over the years.. Just a thought.

Dave W.Fl
This discussion has been closed.