Drag Link R&R

rambos_ride
rambos_ride Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Does anyone have a step by step procedure on how to take the drag link out? I have checked my Body Service manual and Chiltons for 48-54 but I don't see any information on removing and replacing the drag link

The drag link should be the piece that attaches with a "ball joint" (don't know what else to call it?) to the pitman arm and to the center steering link.

If I have that wrong - someone please correct me!

"I thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken..."

Thanks

Comments

• SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Remove the cotter pin from each end. wiggle the rod so as to push the pieces out of the end of the link. Repeat for both ends. it's a greasy mess.. WARNING. Be sure to keep track of where the little pieces go! There are spacers or shims in there and that is how the steering wheel is centered ..or at least that's how it's supposed to be done. If you put them back in wrong, your wheel will be off center while driving down the road.

Have fun and lots of Go-Jo handy.

Dave W.
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Thanks - after cleaning the grease off and following your instructions I got the drag link off. (I ended up having to unscrew the end slotted end caps to get the link of the ball stud.)

The end that attaches to the pitman arm has 2 assemblies that sandwich the ball stud. The assembly is like a rocker arm spring and a fulcrum that rides against the ball stud on either side.

The other end that attaches to the center steering link only has 1 spring and fulcrum assembly - it is also noticeably shorter than the pitman arm end.

Is there supposed to be 2 spring/fulcrum assemblies on each end? Its on a 49 Commodore.

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.