Another Question on Stepdown Shocks!

rambos_ride
rambos_ride Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I have a 49 Hudson Commodore - I have seen several posts on replacement shocks.

What I would like to find out is the stock shock specifications - height, extended height etc... I have a couple of books but nothing that show these specs

Thanks

Comments

• rambos_ride
    Hello All - No Bites on this one eh?

OK - I've seen lotsa shock numbers floating around and I have done some cross checking on the applications for some of the part numbers floating around out there

Shocks Gas Gabriel 82028 Front Advance PA15740132 Monroe 31176

Shocks Gas Gabriel 81147 Rear Advance PA15740070 Monroe 31094

Shocks Reg Gabriel 82026 Front, 7 3/4 - 12 Auto Zone

Shocks Reg Gabriel 82154 Rear 13 3/16-21 15/16 Auto Zone Monroe 31094 Gabriel 81318, 73126

and I am seeing something that bothers me and I wanted some feedback from persons who have used any of these on a 48-54 stepdown model Hudson.

For instance Gabriel Shock #82026 (front shock) also fits a 62 Corvette (3100 lbs) or a 53 Cadillac Deville (4252 lbs) - errrrr something doesn't look right to me how can the same shock work for such differing loads (49 is about 3600 lbs)?

So although they bolt up to the Hudson does the dampening rate, ride height, or extended ride height work to make the ride what is was originally supposed to be? What is some of your experiences with these shocks on a stepdown?

I'm looking into having custom Bilstein shocks made to the correct specifications since I don't want my Hudson to ride like a truck or go into a turn feeling like a "wet noodle"

- would anyone else be interested in these? The manufacturer I'm talking to sounds interested in making additional kits for sale?
  • Sounds interesting whats the price going to be?
  • rambos_ride
    Not sure on pricing yet. I just had some preliminary discussions and am sending some sample shocks to them to get a more accurate determination. They would be gas shocks, either Bilstein or comparable.

I'm just trying to see if there were any interest so I could go back and say - what if you made up 5-10 sets instead of 1.

Maybe I'm worrying about something I shouldn't in terms of replacement shocks - but wouldn't it be nice to have a set made for a Stepdown size and weight?
  • My opinion- a big waste of money and time to me. I'd spend the money on fixing something else as the replacement shocks work fine.

If your looking for shock specs, go to Ken Cate's web page. If you can't find what you are looking for there then you don't need it! Niels
  • TOM-WA-
    TOM-WA- Senior Contributor
    I spent the better part of 2 weeks Buying Shocks for my 54 Wasp from Info I got from various Authorities....Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr 90% of it was either Outdated or just wrong

GABRIEL SHOCKS 81147 DO NOT FIT....tooooo Short had to return em

I now have on my car: Gabriel 82026 FRONT (GAS)

MONROE 31094 REAR (GAS)

They work Great and the ride is nice and firm....

Around $75 for the complete set
This discussion has been closed.