need engine swap info

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I have a 49 hudson super six I pulled out of a junkyard. The head is missing but rest of the running gear is there. I was told that a oldsmobile 350 bolts directly to the tranny. I was wondering if anyone has any info on this and any tips on any other ideas.

thanks,

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I can't answer your question (someone else will probably be along in a while to do so) but....have you considered just putting in an original-style engine? There is probably something out there...where are you located?
  • Someone Told You Wrong. An Adapter Would Be Needed For This. Best Bet Is To Use Olds And And Trans In One Unit And Cut Drive Shaft To Fit, Fabricate Motor Mounts And Improvise The Shifter
  • I am wanting a good dependable highway engine. also easy to find parts for a later model 350. If it was the origanal 8 I would consider but not the 6 that I have
  • If I need to get a tranny too I will just get a chevy 350 and a chevy tranny. I wonder how stury the rearend is or should I repace that too. Just trying to make a good dependable lead sled- highway cruiser.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    (Note to the person whose note I just deleted: I might agree with your sentiments but let's keep it clean, eh? We run a genteel, strickly high-type chatroom here, LOL!)
  • brnhornet52*
    brnhornet52* Senior Contributor
    here, here! wise sage! Seriously, abrasive personal opinions will not foster the goodwill we are trying to encourage, especially to prospective members.
  • well,i am an abrasive person occasionally.i can't help but be myself,and i won't apologize for that.

it seems to me,though,that Hudson is the brand "du jour" for mangling...
  • EssexAdv
    EssexAdv Expert Adviser, Member
    FYI The rear is a week point with the stock 262. so it would need to be replaced. A stock 262 Hudson motor in a 49 will travel all day long at 65 - 75 mph. The 49 Hudson 8 is a bit less tollerant and much harder to find parts for. If you keep it stock and then add the correct overdrive you will have a very drivable car while keeping it stock. and 6 cyk motor parts are avaliable through a varity of sellers. I know, I have a a 'few'
  • Man, I couldn't resist a post to this one! This is like fighting the Civil War all over again. (ha) Do you leave a Hudson "ALL Original", the way it was built, or do you modify it? It seems there is never the "Correct" answer. Personally, I like both ways! I enjoy seeing a real basket-case (like Paul Shuster's "BABY) turn out sparkling like a diamond. I also like to see what people come up with when they say, "I have an idea that will make it better". I just hope people don't get so "one-sided", that it limits the Hudson Club, as a whole! In the immortal words of the great philosopher, Rodney King," Can't we all just get along"?
  • brnhornet52*
    Hi Wes,

This is my point exactly. The poster paid for his car, and is considering putting his time and money into it. Shouldnt he be free to do to it what he wants? Also, shouldnt we, as a group be more receptive to serious queries, even though we might not like the outcome? After all, this isnt a full blown resored Hudson about to be "butchered", but a junkyard hulk.
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    If you are in doubt of just what a stock 262 engine can do, read Jack Kerouac's "On The Road"!!! The story is based on actual cross-country runs by Neal Cassaday (in the book Dean Morarity) and Kerouac in a 1949 Hudson (Kerouac does lable it as a "Hornet", but it was a '49 - tho it doesn't really say in the book). Reading between the lines the intrepid travelers were probably flying higher and faster than the Hudson!!! Rumor has it Cassady simply parked the Hudson on a street in Denver and walked away from it.

HudsonTech
  • It is interesting listening to everyones reply. I guess if i have any inquiries about chopping or putting a different motor in it I won't ask for info here. I was thinking that this club would support anything since the car is a hudson.

I have been into harleys for years and I even have a 1946 knucklehead. It is not stock and I love cause it is mine and what I want. I respect other people and all the work they do to restore exactly original but to say that is "better" then mine I say " to each's own".

I'm still not sure what I will do with my Hudson but whatever it is I will enjoy it which to me means drive it, not just on sunny days but where ever and whenever.

No hard feelings guys.
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    I've been bouncing around this forum for a while now - pretty much broadcasting my plans on updating my 49 Commodore with a GM454/TH400

I've generally not been bombarded by the restoration purist's out there in my postings and have found most members responses to be sound and good hearted.

I respect all those with time and money to restore these beauties when the project warrants it - but like my 49, it would have been years and hundreds of thousands to bring her back to stock. But with my plan - I'll be driving and toasting it up with you guys this summer for a lot less money!
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Beanre, you should do what you wish, it's your car! When we see a new owner whose first thought is to put a modern drivetrain into his Hudson, we simply try to helpfully suggest that it is possible to go with the original drive train, and that the parts and technical information to do so are out there. No criticism is intended (in most cases!). You have obviously considered the alternatives and come to your conclusions, and that's fine.

What I hope you can understand is, that since its inception 45 years ago, the Club was intended to foster the restoration of Hudsons, and the whole concept of modifying or street rodding them is something rather new to the traditional members. Like any new idea, it takes getting used to. However, there is even a small but growing number of long-time Hudsonite restorers whose second or third Hudson IS in fact modified or street-rodded.

As Hudson owners we are indeed a very tiny school of fish in a vast pond and we need to stick together.
  • Aw com' on "BEANRE". Don't give up so easily. There are more people on this site, and in the Club, that "Don't" care if it's original, or modfied. I'll admit, "I'M" one of those that looked my car over, and said, "I have an idea that will make this car better. In fact, I had several ideas. Let's see.......custom radiator,Chevy motor, Chevy 700R-4 tranny, Ford rearend, 4 wheel disc brakes, and I'm not through with all the changes yet. I drive it to meets in the summer, and do more changes in the winter. It's a work in progress. My advice to you would be to "Bookmark" this webpage. LOTS of good information flys around here. Unfortunately, most of the "Purist" tend to be part of the "Older" crowd, and I'm sure going to miss "messing" with them when they're gone. It's been kind of a love/hate relationship. Grandpa never likes what Grandson does, but we're still Family. Disfunctional Family sometimes, but still Family!
  • Don't get too discouraged by the purists on this site there are also a few rodders here. We have 2 Hudson drag cars with mopar power and I would be glad to help you out with any issues you come across. We probably go farther than you want as far a suspension and engine mods but were glad to help in any way. How far do you want to go with this? Stock suspension? High horspower? weekend cruiser?
  • BEANRE, I don't care what anyone does with their Hudson....Custom...Rod...Resto...or full blown race car. I just like Hudson automobiles. Granted there are some in the club that do not want any Hudson to be modified, but they are a minority. Most realize that it is your car and your's to do with as you wish. I have a 54 Hornet Special sedan with 26K on the odometer that I would never modify, but I also have a 54 Hornet coupe that is being built for a driver and is getting a late model engine and trans and Rack and pinion steering, power brakes (discs). So ask your questions and get to know the Hudson family and become a part of it. After all, like Wes said, We may be Dysfunctional but we are still just a big family!
  • brnhornet52*
    Hi Beanre,

As Wes says, dont give up sp easily. Just post your questions, and I'm sure you'll get opinions. Just sift thru it and take what works for you. On the whole, the club does support all things Hudson related.
  • OK, so I'm one of those 'old timers', having started with Hudsons in 1972. First car and all...I've done both the resoration and the Hot Rod, having built and helped race a '53 Wasp Brougham with a 460 Ford and C6. Do what you want with the car, it's yours. There are those that should be restored due to rarity, condition, etc but the bottom line is to enjoy your car as you see fit. There are a lot of guys here on the forum with modified cars and all are welcome. It's good to see that the HET club welcomes these cars as other clubs for other marques have not and have generally died on the vine as it were. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy...there's a lot of good advice on this forum.
  • I am not getting discouraged and already I have learned alot of things about Hudsons that I did not know so I am glad for this site.

I am looking at all my options and at this piont I am still not sure which way I am going to go.

I am going to keep my hudson that is for sure. It was in a junk yard in wisconsin scedualed to be crushed so I saved it. It cost me more to haul it from wisconsin to miami then the purchase price but I'm sure I'll dump a whole lot of more money before I'm done.

One day I will stop in at a HET rally and have share a story or two.

Bean're
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    There is a meet in Lake Worth tomorow! Orange Blossom Chapter at the Hitt home at 3160 Emerson Ave. Easy accesss from I-95 and the Turnpike. Joan and I plan to drive our 49 green Super Six four door down from Melbourne. The picnic lunch starts at 12 sharp. Conversation and tire kicking starts as soon as you arrive. This would be a great chance to meet other South Florida Hudson owners.

Dave W. Fl
This discussion has been closed.