'49 Comm. Engine Detailing Questions

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
hey step down fans. Can someone describe to me, or better yet, send me photos of their original or correctly detailed engine compartment? I know the engine block should be silver, but what about the oil pan, timing chain cover, water jacket cover, etc.??? Painting parts this week and dont want to do it twice.

Thanks

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Silver? I thought that was the pre-war splasher sixes like mine! You sure?

(Apparently they are silver! Well, you live and learn. Thought they were all red!)
  • Club Coupe
    Club Coupe Expert Adviser
    My '51 232 is completely silver, except for the air cleaner, starter, dipstick, flex fan, etc. which are gloss black.
  • EssexAdv
    EssexAdv Expert Adviser, Member
    Starter and Gen, distributor, air filter and fan are black lacquer. The rest of the motor is silver.
  • Thanks for the replies. One other rather pickey question (but I am sort of picky). Is the Autolite distributer meant to be plain old black or were they originally black crinkle paint like the Delco's or Norheast ones I am used to ????
  • Club Coupe
    The Autolite distributor black is like the Autolite coil black. I'd call it a matte black, but a flat black will probably be close enough. Also, your pulleys should be gloss black.
  • Club Coupe
    I just looked at two Autolite distributors in natural light (as it was raining when I first posted) and flat black may not be a very good description. One distributor is a green label and it is more of a semi-gloss type black. The other is a red label and it is more of a matte black with a small hint of a gloss. I doubt anybody would fault you on any finish, but from one picky guy to another, that's my observation. If the truth be known, Autolite probably used whatever black paint that they could get the best price on.
  • EssexAdv
    EssexAdv Expert Adviser, Member
    They were painted with standard gloss black lacquer. Just spray them out and do not rub. It will be as new. I took the time to annalyze the paint when I started my restorations. It is not enamal. It is not flat black. Just good old lacquer,

The coil is also black as listed above.
This discussion has been closed.