1950 hudson eight engine color

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I have a 1950 hudson commodore with a straight 8. Tomorrow I am going to start to rebuild it. I need to know what color the engine and the components are. I work for a ppg paint supplier, so i will not use spray cans. However if anyone knows a duplicolor number, I can probably match it with an automotive number that i can mix. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

eric

Comments

• Engine Is Silver Or Aluminum All Access Are Gloss Black
  • I'm not going to disagree with you, however the engine has some green/blue paint on it now. The car has not seen daylight in over thirty years. It looks like the green may be the original.
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    That sounds like a rebuilders paint job. Remember, she's 55 years old and parked when she was 25 years old. It's amazing what has been done to some of these cars over the first 25 years. I am pretty certain that your engine was aluminum color originaly. From the cars I have had apart, it appears that the engine transmission was painted at one time with a quick "once over" before the accessories were installed and before installation in the car. Often there was little or no paint underneath the transmission and oil pan. I am overhauling a 54 308. I can't find any evidence that it was ever removed from the car. Someone did a fairly good job of covering the original red.. machine gray! ..UGH!

Have fun!

Dave W. Fl.
  • When Bill says "access areas", I would assume he means anything that BOLTS on to the block, like the timing chain cover and oil pan. My 49's block was silver when I yanked it, but these parts were black. I was going to paint them black again along with the fan, pulleys, generator, starter, and air cleaner. That is if I ever get the block back from being line bored.
  • Club Coupe
    Club Coupe Expert Adviser
    All stepown flatheads were silver except the 308 which was gold. 1954 through 1956 went to red. Accessories were gloss black except for Twin H air cleaners which were red other air cleaners were black. Oil pans and timing chain covers were same colors as the block and head. When I had my 232 rebuilt it came back in Ford Blue because "That's what I had handy" the rebuilder told me. Car didn't run right until it got back to the proper silver (LOL).
  • EssexAdv
    EssexAdv Expert Adviser, Member
    BY Accs area, Bull is talking about the gen, dustb and starter. The pan and timng case are silver
This discussion has been closed.