Re: Bryan Wold - surgery ok

hudsontech
hudsontech Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
For those of you who know Bryan Wold, in California, he recently underwent some surgery - he's had a pretty rough time lately. I rcvd the following email from his wife Debbie:

"Bryan had his surgery today, it was scheduled to take 3:45, but it ended up taking 4:30!! The Surgeon told me the surgery went fine, but there was a lot of damage. They removed 2 disks, fused the 2, and they honed a 3rd disk. Then placed a metal bracket in there for added strength.

The Surgeon also said he might notice an immediate difference in the numbness in hands and legs........or it could take up to 6 to 9 months for him to notice a change. Or it may not be a change at all.

This evening Bryan was pretty agitated, as he couldn't feel a difference in his hands, and we don't know yet about his legs as they wouldn't let him get up.

Bryan was also without his cigarettes, and they took over two hours to get him a nicotine patch, so that didn't help......then his final blow came when they told him he couldn't have any dinner!! They would only let him have ice chips....then they moved up to juice, but he was hungry, and wanted FOOD!!

Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day for him!! And he can begin to notice a difference. Before I left the hospital I had to promise to email all his friends and let them know he had his surgery."

If you want to drop him an email: packardone@aol.com - I'm sure he'd appreciate it.

Comments

• Get well Bryan.
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    Rcvd this email from Bryan this morning:

"Thanks everyone for your get well wishes,

I got lucky and got a very good surgeon, I not only have no pain from the surgery but he was able to release me the next day so I was only there for 24 hours. They removed 2 of three disks that are giving me problems and fused the bones together. I have to wear a neck brace which is very uncomfortable but also very nessesary for the next few months. There is no immediate improvement in my mobility in walking or the numbness in my hands (and quite possibly there might never be) but at the very least it should not get any worse. The Doctor thinks I will improve but that it is going to be 6 to 9 months because of the extensive damage to my spinal cord. Strange part of it all is that I have never suffered a neck injury or been in an accident to cause the bulging disks also I have never had any neck pains. Nevertheless the disks are bad and needed to be removed. For the last three years I have been thinking that all my mobility and nerve problems were entirely caused by complications of my diabetes (which is the reason for my last surgery's in October of 94 to unclog an artery in my neck which parylized my left vocal chord making my voice weak and I had a bypass in my right leg) Even though I am having all these health issues I am trying to take them all in stride an make the best of things that I can. I feel fortunate really because I haven't so far experianced much pain other than waiting for incisions to heal. I am in very good spirits and still able to easily joke and laugh and what more could you want in life than that?

I be in Reno in July, HOPE all the rest of you can make it there too.

Bryan Wold

Looks like your thoughts and prayers worked.
This discussion has been closed.