Lug Nuts stamped with the letter "B" & Black

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
On my 37 Terraplane all 20 of my Lug Nuts are stamped with the letter "B" does anyone know if this is correct I'm thinking the're replacements. They where also painted black - same as the wheels, does anyone know if thats correct? My resto book says nothing about the Lug Nuts.

Thanks ............

Comments

• What is your resto book? where did you get it?
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    If you ever have questions about authenticity in a '37, get in touch with Duke Marley in N.C., he has a very low mileage and authentic '37 Terraplane brougham. He's listed in the H-E-T Roster.
  • I purchased the book last year in Pittsburgh at the National H-E-T Club Meet. K-Gap was the Vendor. Its a restoration and judging book. If you need a phone# I can get that for you too.
  • On my 37 Terraplane all 20 of my Lug Nuts are stamped with the letter "B" does anyone know if this is correct I'm thinking the're replacements. They where also painted black - same as the wheels, does anyone know if thats correct? My resto book says nothing about the Lug Nuts.

Thanks ............

Did you ever get an answer? I am curious. I replaced all of the bolts that held the body and fenders on my car with new bolts, washers and nuts. Is that not part of restoring? Does someone actually check this stuff? I figure if someone is bent over looking at the lug nuts on my Terraplane; by the time they were almost done complaining about them not being original, I would have given them the business end of my Redwing boot. Just curious.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Well, I can tell you that no one in the Hudson club will examine your car that closely, since the H-E-T does not have judging! So that leaves the AACA, and they have so few judges who know anything about Hudsons, that the lettering on bolts would be the LAST thing they look at!
  • no Judge, will pull off your Hubcaps to inspect bolts. If they hold on the wheels, what is your worry
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    As Jon says, the Hudson Club in general couldn't care less about what bolts you use. But an AACA judge doesn't need to know anything about Hudsons to know that modern markings on bolt heads are incorrect, and require a point deduction. Anyone wishing to do well in AACA National meets, where the "by the book" judging rules are applied, would do well to get a copy of the Judges Manual and study it to learn what costs points and what doesn't.
  • Greg - Hey I bought some items from you on Ebay before as (YZ426) - no answer to the lug bolt question yet, I've emailed Duke, as Park suggested - just five minutes ago. If / When I receive an answer I'll let you know. How are your bolt marked?
  • Greg - Hey I bought some items from you on Ebay before as (YZ426) - no answer to the lug bolt question yet, I've emailed Duke, as Park suggested - just five minutes ago. If / When I receive an answer I'll let you know. How are your bolt marked?

My bolts have no markings that I can see. They all screw into the hub. Have six sides and are flat on the top. Are you restoring for show?
  • Park W wrote:
    As Jon says, the Hudson Club in general couldn't care less about what bolts you use. But an AACA judge doesn't need to know anything about Hudsons to know that modern markings on bolt heads are incorrect, and require a point deduction. Anyone wishing to do well in AACA National meets, where the "by the book" judging rules are applied, would do well to get a copy of the Judges Manual and study it to learn what costs points and what doesn't.
    Park hit a home run with this one ... as longtime member of the AACA I am a Hudson owner who recognizees originally in Stepdowns. I cannot make that claim for the earlier examples of the marque ... but there are folks who can. The Judges Manual is the guide and very rigorously applied. Do not underestimate the lack of Hudson representation in AACA as lack of authenticity knowledge ... it is clearly available.

Good Luck to all who pursue the elusive ... original and only original restoration path...they are like all other car nuts...just a little more picky!

Ken
This discussion has been closed.