Weird clutch noise

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
On my 1936 Terraplane, when warmed up, if you step on the brakes to slow down, a noise emits from the clutch area that sounds like something brushing against a fan blade as the fan turns. Letting up on the brakes as the car continues to move stops the noise. It is as if something is hitting the flywheel or something, but only when braking causes that something to brush against something that is turning. Anybody have any experience with a noise like this? It only happens when warmed up. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Well, I'll lead off with the first suggestion but it's probably no good. Might the flywheel cover have come loose, and be rubbing on the flywheel, when the car slows down?
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Check your starter drive, it may be slipping forward and letting the drive touch the ring gear during braking.

Good luck,

Dave W, Fl
  • Probably Need New Trans Mount. If Broken Allows A Lot Of Movement And Noises Develop Bill Albright
  • It was the starter drive slipping forward and touching the flywheel. Good Diagnosis! So I put another starter on, and it does the same thing. Anybody know how to stop this? Thanks for any help.
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    I only answer the easy questions! LOL. I had this same problem on a 49 8 cyl. As I recall (30 years ago) The bendix spring was a little stretched. That made it a tad longer than it should have been. Maybe both of yours are old and stretched? I wonder also if you may need to add or change a thrust washer in the starter to reduce the end play. Let us know what ya found,

Dave W. Fl
This discussion has been closed.